Switzerland : Parliamentarians begin group on digital sustainability
Six members of the Swiss parliament (Nationalrat) last week formed a group called ‘Digital Sustainability’ which aims to increase the use of open source software by Swiss public bodies.
“After two years of lobbying for open source software in Swiss departmental and national politics, we have reached the next milestone”, Matthias Stürmer writes on his web site, where he announced the cross-party parliamentarian work group.
Stürmer is a board member of the Swiss Open Systems User Group (/ch/open), which will assist the group of MPs.
The six parliamentarians will begin by making the use of open source a political topic, Stürmer explains in an interview. The group will promote the concept of open source software and open standards in e-government projects and in IT procurement policy. In preparation is a request for the government to determine the economic benefits of this type of software for the country. “The six will also soon submit a resolution calling on the administration to favour the use of open standards and open source above proprietary applications.”
The group wants foremost to increase the use of open source by public bodies, he says. “But this will result in more jobs for local IT companies, will make more efficient use of the tax-payers money and it will increase innovation.”
“We need new ideas, innovative concepts and bold steps to get out of this one-way street of depending on IT vendors. Increasing our use of open source will help boost the Swiss software sect and improve its position in the international market.”
The Swiss administration had developed an open source strategy about eight years ago. This only exists on paper, says Stürmer. “In reality, the federal administration shied away whenever politicians pleaded for an increasing use of open source.”
“A study by the European Commission estimates that European companies are saving on average some 36 percent of their IT expenditure by using open source. Many EU countries, regions and cities have discovered the potential of free and open source software, and are using it strategically. It seems only in Switzerland there has been no progress.”
The six members of parliament are Walter Donzé (Evangelical Peoples Party, kanton Bern), Edith Graf-Litscher (Socialist Party, kanton Thurgau), Kathy Riklin (Christian Democrats, kanton Zürich), Alec von Graffenried (Green party, kanton Bern), Christian Wasserfallen (Free Democratic Party, kanton Bern) and Thomas Weibel (Green Liberal Party, kanton Zürich).
see more information :
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu : GLPI is the Information Resource-Manager with an additional Administration Interface. You can use it...0 comments |
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP : This is the continuation of our previous tutorial. In our previous tutorial we learned how to instal...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS 'Luna'/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint : FrostWire is a peer-to-peer file sharing program for the gnutella and BitTorrent protocols. FrostWir...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .