Wine lets you run Windows software on other operating systems. With Wine, you can install and run these applications just like you would in Windows.
Wine is still under active development. Not every program works yet, however there are already several million people using Wine to run their software.
The Wine development release 1.3.1 is now available.
Wine 1.3.1 sees everyone’s favourite none-an-emulator add: –
* Support for drag & drop between X11 and OLE.
* New ipconfig.exe builtin tool.
* Support for favorites in builtin Internet Explorer.
* Beginnings of a shell Explorer control.
* A number of DirectDraw code cleanups.
* Improvements to the calendar control.
* Bug fixes
Install / Upgrade
Ubuntu 10.04 users can install the latest Wine from the Wine PPA: –
Open a terminal and enter the following two commands carefully
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.3