Install RAID 1 in Fedora/Centos/RHEL
RAID 1 is usually implemented as mirroring; a drive has its data duplicated on two different drives using either a hardware RAID controller or software (generally via the operating system). If either drive fails, the other continues to function as a single drive until the failed drive is replaced. Conceptually simple, RAID 1 is popular for those who require fault tolerance and don’t need top-notch read performance. A variant of RAID 1 is duplexing, which duplicates the controller card as well as the drive, providing tolerance against failures of either a drive or a controller. It is much less commonly seen than straight mirroring.
insert Your installtion with CD/DVD/FTP/DHCP server or other methde
follow the normal instructions :
You see. we have 2 disk of 8 GB
we will create 3 normal partition /boot (100MB) swap and / (root partition)
Click on the RAID button and choose “Create a software RAID partition
In the file system chose : Software RAID
do it now with the second drive. after this you will see this:
Now Click RAID and Create a RAID device.
Now For the swap partition . create normal Swap on the 2 drives , dont make it the RAID
Swap = normal RAM in this example is 1 GB
Now create the root Partition / with the rest of the free Drive. with RAID device md1 and Raid level. level 1
you will see something like this :)
Now your RAID in ready to use after your os installation , reboot , if you get some grub issue like kernel panic or grub error 17 or other issue, is not a big problem .
reboot with your OS in rescue mode : “linux rescue”
In the command prompt set a new root and build the RAID array:
sh-4.0# chroot /mnt/sysimage
Check the statis of your RAID with
Personalities : [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sdb3 sda3
7060480 blocks [2/2] [UU]
md0 : active raid1 sdb1 sda1
104320 blocks [2/2] [UU]
UU means both disks are live
Run the following command to “hotadd” and rebuild the array:
[root@raidtest ~]# mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sda1
[root@raidtest ~]# mdadm /dev/md1 --add /dev/sda3
This process might take some time – depends on the sizes of the partitions.
Now time to Configure the GRUB.
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)
[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename.]
GRUB shell type the following commands to re-install the boot loader on both drives,
grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> device (hd1) /dev/sdb
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd1)
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
reboot and Test if everything is working good
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Is Ubuntu Going To Replace Windows XP In South Korea? : As we all know the Windows XP apocalypse is approaching gradually and Windows XP is still one of Mic...1 comment |
- How To Download Videos From Youtube With ClipGrab : I have explained to you guys how to download youtube videos from Linux with the youtube-dl tool, but...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....1 comment |
- Check System Information With Hardinfo
- Pandora FMS – An Universal Monitoring System For Your Organization
- How To Fix “google-chrome-stable depends on libxss1″ error
- Is Ubuntu Going To Replace Windows XP In South Korea?
- Fedora 20 “Heisenbug” Officially Released!
- How To Download Videos From Youtube With ClipGrab
- Fix “W: ubuntu_dists_saucy_main_binary-amd64_Packages”
- How To Fix “E: Unable to locate Ubuntu-restricted-extras”
- How To Install KeePassx 2.0 Alpha 4 In Ubuntu
- Add Package Management Tool On FreeBSD 10
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .