install LOCKDOWN editor
This kiosk setup is aimed towards the creation of public workstations, e.g. in internet cafes, public libraries and so on. We want to allow users internet access (www, chat, multimedia, …), give them a chance to download files from the internet, and provide applications to open them (word doc, spreadsheets, (PowerPoint) presentations, pdf files, …). Not all of these can be covered with plug-ins and add-ons. One could argue that information on the web should be in a ‘browser-compatible’ format – but that’s in that ideal world far, far away from here – and probably in a parallel universe anyway. The Web I know is littered with Word documents, Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets, PowerPoint Presentations … Sure, OpenOffice can handle those no problem – but then the web kiosk pc should have OpenOffice installed.
Also – as our kiosk is an internet pc in a public library, we may want to allow the users to print information, or save it to (usb) disks etc. So we’ll have to provide access to printers and to media, to auto-mounted devices, … So what we’re looking for here is a rather complete desktop system, maybe also including games or educational programs, but with such configuration that the user can not modify the system, and can not abuse the system (eg. scan, enumerate or access a local network), and so on.
source : http://users.telenet.be
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...1 comment |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...1 comment |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .