Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
install LOCKDOWN editor
This kiosk setup is aimed towards the creation of public workstations, e.g. in internet cafes, public libraries and so on. We want to allow users internet access (www, chat, multimedia, …), give them a chance to download files from the internet, and provide applications to open them (word doc, spreadsheets, (PowerPoint) presentations, pdf files, …). Not all of these can be covered with plug-ins and add-ons. One could argue that information on the web should be in a ‘browser-compatible’ format – but that’s in that ideal world far, far away from here – and probably in a parallel universe anyway. The Web I know is littered with Word documents, Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets, PowerPoint Presentations … Sure, OpenOffice can handle those no problem – but then the web kiosk pc should have OpenOffice installed.
Also – as our kiosk is an internet pc in a public library, we may want to allow the users to print information, or save it to (usb) disks etc. So we’ll have to provide access to printers and to media, to auto-mounted devices, … So what we’re looking for here is a rather complete desktop system, maybe also including games or educational programs, but with such configuration that the user can not modify the system, and can not abuse the system (eg. scan, enumerate or access a local network), and so on.
source : http://users.telenet.be
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .