Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
How to uninstall the old kernels in ubuntu
Everytime there is an update for the kernel, the new kernel is installed while the old one is not automaticaly uninstalled, after several kernel updates, you will find a large list of old kernels in the start grub menu . So if we got no problem with the new installed kernel, we can just delete the old ones.
Today i will show you how to uninstall the old kernels, it is important to keep at least one old kernel, so in case if you have any problem with the new one, you can then switch to the old kernel.
First use this command to see the list of the installed kernels in your Ubuntu :
$ dpkg --get-selections | grep linux-image
In my case :
Now for example try to delete the oldest one (change oldest kernel with your oldest one) :
$ sudo apt-get purge oldest-kernel
In my case :
$ sudo apt-get purge linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic
If the kernel you try to uninstall is not updated, you will got a message to update first before to continue. update then the kernel and then uninstall that old kernel and the updates using the same command above.
Important : Do not uninstall the linux-image-generic as it is necessary to receive updates of the kernel.
Thanks to guia ubuntu for this tip ( In spanish)
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...1 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .