How to install latest JRE java version in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick meerkat via PPA
In order to run Java programs, you must have a Java run time environment (JRE) installed. To run Java web applets in your browser, you additionally need a plugin for your browser, which is not installed by default. In this post i will show you 2 ways to install Java, The first how to install Java6 from partner repository and the second how to have the latest stable version of java from PPA repository.
1- If you want to install Java run time in ubuntu 10.10 Maverick meerkat , you need to activate first the partner repository, to do that, go to System–>Administration–>Synaptic package manager then go to settings–> repositories and activate canonical Partners
Then open terminal and type the folowing command:
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
2- If you want to install the latest java version in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, open terminal and enter the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sun-java-community-team/sun-java6
sudo apt-get update
apt-cache search java
If you have various versions of Java installed and you want to change the default one, open terminal and type the command :
sudo update-alternatives --config java
Type selection number of java you want to have by default and press enter.
Is done !.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...2 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...2 comments |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals : In a previous article I wrote a bit about Tor. Free browser, relays bouncing your IP all over the ...1 comment |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .