How to change the default boot order for Grub2 in Ubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat
This is a quick tip for people that want to change Grub2 boot order in ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10. In Grub2 you can no longer edit menu.lst (sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst) . Now the file we have to edit is Grub and is located in /etc/default/grub.
Here are the steps to follow:
1- To edit the grub file open terminal and type the following command :
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
You will got something like this :
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo’
# Uncomment if you don’t want GRUB to pass “root=UUID=xxx” parameter to Linux
# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entrys
Now to change the boot order, you need to change the GRUB_DEFAULT Entry, for example you have windows7 in the 3rd position and you want to set it as default, to do that set default to 3: GRUB_DEFAULT=3
2- Now update Grub using the command:
And is done!
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Download Videos From Youtube With ClipGrab : I have explained to you guys how to download youtube videos from Linux with the youtube-dl tool, but...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Is Ubuntu Going To Replace Windows XP In South Korea? : As we all know the Windows XP apocalypse is approaching gradually and Windows XP is still one of Mic...1 comment |
- How To Fix "E: Unable to locate Ubuntu-restricted-extras" : Ubuntu Restricted Extras is the first package that most people install after a new installation of U...0 comments |
- Check System Information With Hardinfo
- Pandora FMS – An Universal Monitoring System For Your Organization
- How To Fix “google-chrome-stable depends on libxss1″ error
- Is Ubuntu Going To Replace Windows XP In South Korea?
- Fedora 20 “Heisenbug” Officially Released!
- How To Download Videos From Youtube With ClipGrab
- Fix “W: ubuntu_dists_saucy_main_binary-amd64_Packages”
- How To Fix “E: Unable to locate Ubuntu-restricted-extras”
- How To Install KeePassx 2.0 Alpha 4 In Ubuntu
- Add Package Management Tool On FreeBSD 10
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .