Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Cuba Says 'No More Microsoft,' Joins the Linux Bandwagon
Cuba recently launched its own answer to Windows this week, or, in the bigger picture, what the Cubans are calling “US Hegemony.” Nova, the new open source OS being offered by the Cuban government, is being made to boot out US-based Microsoft products.
The government of Cuba, following in a round-about way the footsteps of Russia and China, wishes to oust Microsoft products for several reasons, the most prominent of those being that Microsoft is US-based and they therefore fear that US security agencies have access to Microsoft code, also that, due to the embargo by the US, Microsoft software is hard to come by legally and difficult to update.
Hector Rodriguez, dean of the School of Free Software at the University of Information Sciences in Cuba, said that several government ministries as well as the universities have switched to the Linux platform, but there has been some struggle with other government sectors that are worried that the operating system will not be compatible with necessary and unique software.
He also said that he expects half of the computers on the island to be running Nova within five years, as well as:
The Cuban people apparently need independence from Microsoft and the world at large, and just what Rodriguez means by “soveriegnty…” well, using one’s creativity, that could mean anything from having a superior system to Windows to taking over the world by nuclear force; I’m personally rooting for the former.
Source : OSnews.com
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .