Cuba Says 'No More Microsoft,' Joins the Linux Bandwagon
Cuba recently launched its own answer to Windows this week, or, in the bigger picture, what the Cubans are calling “US Hegemony.” Nova, the new open source OS being offered by the Cuban government, is being made to boot out US-based Microsoft products.
The government of Cuba, following in a round-about way the footsteps of Russia and China, wishes to oust Microsoft products for several reasons, the most prominent of those being that Microsoft is US-based and they therefore fear that US security agencies have access to Microsoft code, also that, due to the embargo by the US, Microsoft software is hard to come by legally and difficult to update.
Hector Rodriguez, dean of the School of Free Software at the University of Information Sciences in Cuba, said that several government ministries as well as the universities have switched to the Linux platform, but there has been some struggle with other government sectors that are worried that the operating system will not be compatible with necessary and unique software.
He also said that he expects half of the computers on the island to be running Nova within five years, as well as:
The Cuban people apparently need independence from Microsoft and the world at large, and just what Rodriguez means by “soveriegnty…” well, using one’s creativity, that could mean anything from having a superior system to Windows to taking over the world by nuclear force; I’m personally rooting for the former.
Source : OSnews.com
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .