Wine 1.7.18 Brings More Fixes
The Wine development release 1.7.18 is now available for download, bringing many new improvements and lots of fixes for different applications.
This version of Wine contains 80 bug fixes in total and many important changes since the 1.7.17 version. Are you tired of spotify crashing in the middle of the song and pop-up fault messages? Don’t worry!
It is fixed now. Among many other fixes, there are alot of bug fixes that improve the performance of games such as Crysis 2, FIFA 2002, Half-Life and SimCity Societies.
All the games mentioned above crash, some while playing and some on startup, but thanks to the fixes done in this development release of Wine gamers will not experience such problems.
Can you guys imagine how boring and unacceptable is to start your gameplay over and over again? Maybe you play Battlefield 1942 in your computer and have experienced crashes after map loading. Tell me, how did you feel?
Or, when Might & Magic VI Heroes fails to start because it crashes right after menu. I not a gamer but I have played alot of games when I was a kid, I feel your pain guys.
Thanks to this update of the Wine open source software application, gamers will not experience anyone of the problems while playing the games mentioned above.
According to the official changelog the OLE Accessible Object support has been improved, various memory issues have been fixed, the Mac driver has received Window sizing improvements, Notepad2 v4.2.25 installation does not fail anymore, Adobe Reader 8.1.1 installs without any problem and more MSHTML functions are added.
The followings are some bugs fixed in this release:
- IBM Lotus Notes 7.x/8.x: ‘File > Preferences > User Preferences…’ results in crash
- Grim Fandango hangs if X in 24bpp mode
- mouse corruption in lionheart
- Magic: The Gathering Online 3.x fails to connect/login to server
- Grim Fandango: altered colors
- Powerslide segfaults
- Magic: The Gathering Online 3.0 fails to log in with L0014
- SmartDraw 2009/2010/CI aborts after displaying trial window
- Rosetta Stone Online Spanish (version 0.87594D 221) hangs at “5” during startup
- Problem with starting of wine or winecfg
- Spotify crashes in the mittle of a song and give me a pop-up fault message
- GPS Utility 5.02 fails to connect to GPS device (USB serial)
- GetDriveTypeW exposes partially uninitialized out parameter iosb in NtDeviceIoControlFile ?
- Write buffer overflow in msi/tests/automation.c?
- Gothic 2 1.3 Infogrames Edition installer crashes
- ExpressPCB crashes when you try to upload a board
- Half-Life (Steam) doesn’t run
- Football Manager 2010 fails to start
- Many steam games crash because of GameOverlayRenderer.dll
- Steam: Source based games will not start
- advapi32/security tests shows some leaks in valgrind
- use after free in X11DRV_GetKeyboardLayout?
- Steam: crashes randomly while downloading L4D2
- Microsoft 3D Movie Maker: rendering is red mesh/black text on black background
- VoipBuster 4.x crashes on startup
- Segmentation fault in Kudos 2 Demo
- El Matador crashes when starting a level(ASSERTION failed)
- Might & Magic VI Heroes – fails to start game, crashes right after menu
- Magic: The Gathering Online 3.x updater tool ‘Kicker.exe’ hangs
- advapi32/security.ok: GetTokenInformation(Token, TokenGroups,…) returns partial garbage leading to uninitialized memory accesses?
- Uninitialized variables in create_rebar
- ieframe/tests/ie.ok: Use-after-free (after ImageList_ReplaceIcon)
- gdiplus/tests/image.ok: test_fromhicon triggers reference of uninitialized variable from SetDIBits
- winhttp/notification.ok: invalid read in check_notification
- ddraw/tests: invalid writes in ddraw_surface7_Release and friends
- shell32: uninitialized memory used during TRASH_EnumItems, triggered by “make recyclebin.ok”
- comctl32/tests/listview.ok triggers uninitialized memory read of local variable in NC_DrawCaption()
- kernel32/tests/fiber.ok shows longjmp-related uninitialised memory references
- Battlefield 3 crashes on installation
- Notepad2 v4.2.25 installation fails
- Authorware Web Player 2004 Plugin – mouseClicks and keystroke are not recognized
- builtin iexplore + selenium hangs on startup
- Multiple 64-bit applications need KERNEL32.dll.RtlInstallFunctionTableCallback (Mono, Metatrader 5 Agent)
- 7.62 High Calibre configuration tool unusable (can’t make changes)
- Saints Row the Third (Steam) crashes on startup (needs support for PrimitiveMiscCaps ‘D3DPMISCCAPS_PERSTAGECONSTANT’)
- Borderlands 2 (Steam) fails to start
- Dishonored crashes on startup
- Crysis 2 fails to launch
- Path of Exile “Allocating Space” very slow, due to NtFlushVirtualMemory being synchronous
- WISO (Steuer) Sparbuch 2012/2013 fails during online activation (needs HTMLElementCollection_get__newEnum)
- Spin Tires: black menu with missing text (per-stage constants handling needed)
- SimCity Societies launcher (.NET app) crashes on startup (incorrect canonicalization of URL containing trade mark sign character U+2122)
A very important fix which is worth mentioning in this article is the problem with starting of wine or winecfg.
As you guys can see there are so many fixes, and I did not post all of them. Wine developers have done a very good job in this development version, making so everybody “happy”.
Now, if you like to install this release in your Ubuntu box open a new terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and run the following commands.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install wine