VLC: How to Download Subtitles Using VLSub
First off you need to install VLC. Go to videolan.org and follow the instructions there. Why VLC? Because it’s one of the best media players out there. Seriously, it finds the proper video/audio codec automatically and it plays even broken or incomplete video files.
Ubuntu users have special treatment here, since once they click “Download VLC” button, Ubuntu Software Center launches automatically. Otherwise, if you are a terminal guy, you can always make use of CLI commands:
sudo apt-get install vlc
Or make use of the appropriate PPA (not necessary):
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/stable-daily sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install vlc
VLSub is an extension that searches and downloads subtitles from opensubtitles.org using the hash of the video currently playing or its title. In that way, you don’t have to manually search for subtitles but trust VLSub to do the job for you — Download VLSub
Extract the zipped file. Copy and paste the vlsub.lua file into /usr/lib/vlc/lua/extensions/ directory. If it doesn’t exist, create it first and move the file later:
mkdir -p /usr/lib/vlc/lua/extensions sudo cp vlsub.lua /usr/lib/vlc/lua/extensions
While playing a video using VLC, go to View > VLSub
Now search for subtitles (either by hash or name).
Click “Download Selection” and voila!
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10 : Introduction Fail2Ban is an intrusion prevention framework written in the Python programming l...0 comments |
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful : Running a business can be very stressful. You have to think about team collaboration, making sure th...0 comments |
- install Git in Ubuntu : Git is a distributed revision control system with an emphasis on speed. Git was initially designed a...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5 : I will show you in this tutorial how to install your first cluster Corosync and the Linux Cluster Ma...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .