VLC: How to Download Subtitles Using VLSub
First off you need to install VLC. Go to videolan.org and follow the instructions there. Why VLC? Because it’s one of the best media players out there. Seriously, it finds the proper video/audio codec automatically and it plays even broken or incomplete video files.
Ubuntu users have special treatment here, since once they click “Download VLC” button, Ubuntu Software Center launches automatically. Otherwise, if you are a terminal guy, you can always make use of CLI commands:
sudo apt-get install vlc
Or make use of the appropriate PPA (not necessary):
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/stable-daily sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install vlc
VLSub is an extension that searches and downloads subtitles from opensubtitles.org using the hash of the video currently playing or its title. In that way, you don’t have to manually search for subtitles but trust VLSub to do the job for you — Download VLSub
Extract the zipped file. Copy and paste the vlsub.lua file into /usr/lib/vlc/lua/extensions/ directory. If it doesn’t exist, create it first and move the file later:
mkdir -p /usr/lib/vlc/lua/extensions sudo cp vlsub.lua /usr/lib/vlc/lua/extensions
While playing a video using VLC, go to View > VLSub
Now search for subtitles (either by hash or name).
Click “Download Selection” and voila!
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...1 comment |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...1 comment |
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update : Canonical has released security updates for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and advices to update your system as so...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .