Ubuntu 14.04 LTS And Its Official Flavours Have Been Released!
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, code named “Trusty Tahr” has been released yesterday. And also, the Ubuntu official flavours Edubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, Ubuntu studio, Ubuntu Gnome and Ubuntu Kylin are available for download. The main Ubuntu version will be supported for 5 years, whereas the official flavours will be supported for 3 years. So you don’t have to do frequent upgrade. You can get updates, security fixes and support for next 5 years for main Ubuntu (Unity) desktop, server and 3 years for other official flavours.
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS version have bundled with lot of new features, fixes and improvements. Here is the list of new features since the previous LTS release:
- Linux kernel v3.13.0-24.46
- Python 3.4
- Xen 4.4
- Libreoffice 4.2.3
- MySQL 5.6/MariaDB 5.5
- Apache 2.4
- PHP 5.5
- Many improvements in AppArmor
- Upstart 1.12.1
- Xorg 15.0.1, Mesa 10.1
- Openstack 2014.1, code named icehouse
- Puppet 3
- Xen 4.4
- Ceph 0.79
- Qemu 2.0.0
- Open vSwitch 2.0.1
- Libvirt 1.2.2
- LXC 1.0
- MAAS 1.5
- Juju 1.18.1
- strongSwan IPSec
And many more.. Read the complete list of new features in 14.04 LTS here.
Also, the official flavours releases notes are given in the following links:
- Edubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/Edubuntu
- Kubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu
- Lubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/Lubuntu
- Mythbuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/Mythbuntu
- Ubuntu GNOME: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuGNOME
- Ubuntu Kylin: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/Kylin
- Ubuntu Studio: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuStudio
- Xubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/Xubuntu
Download Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
You can download the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS main version here.
And, the other official download links are given in the above official release notes links itself.
Upgrade Ubuntu 14.04 LTS from Ubuntu 13.10
If you already have ubuntu 13.10 desktop or server on your system, and want to do upgrade to latest 14.04 LTS? Don’t worry, we have already made a step by step upgrade guide to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Check out the link and do the upgrade to latest version.