Ubuntu 13.10 ‘Saucy Salamander’ – New kernel, Unity 7 and 8 with Mir
Hello Unixmen readers. This article is not just an article for any geek who’s obsessed with technology news, it’s for a very big chart of Linux users and Ubuntu fans.
As per Ubuntu’s wiki, Ubuntu 13.10 ‘Saucy Salamander’ release is scheduled for the final release to be ready on October 17, this year, with some promising exciting new features.
One of the most important news to date is the Saucy Salamander has Linux kernel 3.10 RC2, which puts a lot of hopes on the final release, as Ubuntu will have a current and up to date kernel by the time the final release is due in October.
There are reports for Ubuntu 13.10 that Mozilla Firefox might be replaced by Chromium as the default browser. In my opinion, this doesn’t change a lot because at the end of the day both of them do the exact same function, which is surfing the internet. However, I’ve always thought that Chromium consumes more memory than Firefox and also a little bit buggy with pasting using the middle-click. Hopefully these issues might of been solved in more recent builds which admittedly, I haven’t tried.
The favorite bit that should excite us is the GUI changes. Ubuntu 13.10 will be shipped with Unity 7 with the smart scoping system which was supposed to be out in the ‘Raring Ringtail’, release with an integrated Dash payment option. I really don’t think I would use it a lot, but it’s ideal for music/movies shopping and it’s expected to be much more fast as it will be including the newest version of Compiz.
And although Ubuntu 13.10 will be shipped with Unity 7 out-of-the-box, a “Preview” of Unity 8 and the new display server Mir will also be available for use in 13.10.
There also may be a new feature which is called Click Install, which I reckon will be like a quick package installer with just one click. More news to come as the release approaches closer.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- Setup Secure FTP Server With MySecureShell
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .