Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Top Linux Stories Roundup 2012
And we are on the verge to cross yet another year and blog posts regarding the year-in-review have already started to pour in on the web. The blog post, one of that kind, round-up top Linux (and open source) stories of 2012.
For those who are have less time to spare here are the quick roundup of best things that happened in Linux world!
- Canonical the company behind Ubuntu announced the Ubuntu TV at CES.
- NGINX acquired 2nd place in Web Servers from Microsoft IIS, Apache crowned as unbeatable first web server, according to report released by Netcraft, the leading Web server analytic company.
- Linux Mint released Cinnamon on lines of GNOME 2.X
- Rhythmbox 2.95 was released!
- Apache releases first major new version of popular Web server in six years.
- Canonical unveiled Ubuntu for Android, Linux desktop for high-end Android phones.
- Red Hat announced an important upgrade of its Enterprise Linux promising increased scalability, performance and management of its KVM virtualization as well as performance upgrades for Xen.
- Adobe Abandons Linux for Flash and AIR.
- Intel started to offer the open-source office suite LibreOffice in its application store called Intel AppUp, for Windows users.
- SUSE shipped its first update to Enterprise Linux SP2 which incorporated the new forward-porting model.
- Raspberry pi was released on 29th February, running Linux OS.
- Mozilla Thurnderbird 10.0 released!
- NVIDIA joins the Linux Foundation
- Official Remix of Fedora Linux compatible for Raspberry Pi was released
- Oracle released its Enterprise Kernel Release 2 for Oracle Linux incorporating a number of features most notably the support for the mainline Linux 3 and btrfs.
- Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (Precise Pangolin) Beta released
- Red Hat Became Open Source’s First $1 Billion company!
- The fifth release of OpenStack,( codename Essex) debuted on April 5th.
- Linus Torvalds was awarded the Millennium Technology Prize! A prize comparable to the noble prize in technology!
- Red Hat and SUSE join IBM’s new Linux POWER Servers.
- Ubuntu 12.04 was released!
- Red Hat debuts OpenShift Origin project
- Apache Software Foundation announced the first official release of Apache OpenOffice, version 3.4.
- Red Hat turns Ten!
- Fedora 17 with Gnome 3.4 released
- Google buys Motorola
- Linux Mint 13 “Maya” was released on 23rd May!
- First PC powered by Linux Mint goes on Sale!
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3, the mighty version of Red Hat was released!
- Top 500 released the report enlisting top 500 supercomputers in the world. Linux powered supercomputer Sequoia acquired the first place! Top 5 supercomputers were powered by Linux.
- Firefox comes to Android!
- Red Hat debuted series of integrated cloud solutions including Red Hat Hybrid Iaas.
- Red Hat acquires FuseSourceGoogle
- Glasses prototype unveiled
- Canonical partners with Microsoft to support Ubuntu on Azure
- Ubuntu adds support for WebApps on its Linux desktop
- Microsoft announced MS Office 2013 shall finally fully support ODF, Open XML, and PDF formats.
- Twitter joins Linux foundation!
- Firefox 15 released!
- TextMate 2.0 gones opensource
- KDE 4.9 Arrived
- OpenSUSE 12.2 Linux released
- Joomla 3.0 CMS was optimized for mobile devices
- Ubuntu 12.10 released!
- Mono 3.0 released!
- Firefox 16 released!
- Fedora Linux 18 beta was finally released
- Linux Mint 14 Nadia released
- Dell released Linux powered Ultrabook
- HP becomes Platinum Member of Linux foundation, pays$ 500,000
- Firefox 17 debuts!
- Linux 3.7 arrives
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 beta made available
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .