The Linux Foundation points out Microsoft as one of the Top 20 kernel development contributors
The latest report by The Linux Foundation, for the year 2012, holds lots of surprises. The top surprise is of course, is that of the most unlikely contributor to Linux kernel development- Microsoft Corp. – at No.17, in a Top 20 list! The financial figures reveal that up to one-percent of the development of Linux 2.6.36 to the latest version Linux 3.2 is funded by Microsoft. And this is after Steve Ballmer called Linux platform as a cancer.
Along with the report, a video on How Linux Is Built showcasing greater possibilities of open source projects being implemented as against commercial, expensive proprietary software, is also released.
While open source community is receiving this bit of news with the greatest pinch of salt, it is also an indication of the Power of LINUX in today’s technology dominated world. That it is driving new age computing through quick-adoption and fast approach to evolving quicker, faster and cheaper technologies and real-world problems, Microsoft’s finger in the Linux pie should not be surprising.
It has been The Linux Foundation’s practice to collate information on the actual number of people involved in developing the core- the Linux Kernel. It also notes on the contribution coming from companies as well. Hence, the latest report reveals that nearly 7, 800 developers belonging to nearly 800 companies are making a contribution towards the Linux kernel development. Hence, the report reveals that the increase in number of developers is nearly 1000 contributors and 200 companies from the year before.
While the trend towards hiring developers with core Linux skills had just begun, as per the previous report, this year’s report confirms that nearly all the Top 10 names in new-age mobile computing – Nokia, Samsung, Google as well as core-technology providers such as IMB, Texas Instruments, Novell and proprietary technology service providers such as Oracle or Broadcom are all direct contributors to Linux kernel development.
With Microsoft positioned at No.17 as a Linux developer partner, it is perceived that the interest in Linux Kernel is to develop and “support its virtualization efforts and its customers.”
Another key aspect, says The Linux Foundation, is that in the last one year each hour six new patches are released. Thus, the number of changes occurring in kernel development, now requires release each quarter year with as many as eight thousand to twelve thousand patches being included.
The vice president of The Linux Foundation, Amanda McPherson had this to say about the latest findings-
“Linux is the platform for the future of computing. More developers and companies are contributing to the advancement of the operating system than ever before, especially in the areas of mobile, embedded and cloud computing. The increasing participation represents the power of Linux to quickly adapt to new market opportunities, lower costs, and provide sustained long-term support.”
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .