SparkleShare: An Open Source Dropbox Alternative
SparkleShare is a free, Open Source collaboration and file synchronization tool. It allows you to sync and share files instantly with GIT repositories and you can view the data wherever you go. Unlike Dropbox and other cloud services, you can store the files/folders on your own server, or a hosted solution like GitHub or Gitorious. You can choose where to store the file/folders that you want to sync. So you don’t have to worry about the data security and privacy. You are the master of your own data and you don’t have to depend on any third party free/paid cloud services.
It is quite good and suitable in the following cases:
- Frequently changing project files, like text, office documents, and images
- Tracking and syncing files edited by multiple people
- Reverting a file to any point in its history
- Preventing spying on your files on the server using encryption
It isn’t that good in the following cases:
- Full computer backups
- Storing your photo or music collection
- Large binary files that change often, like video editing projects
Best of all, it is a cross-platform and it is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
Install SparkleShare on Ubuntu
First add the git-core repository.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:git-core/ppa
Add the Sparkleshare PPA with command:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rebuntu16/sparkleshare+unofficial
Update the software sources list.
$ sudo apt-get update
Install Sparkleshare with command:
$ sudo apt-get install sparkleshare libmono-posix4.0-cil
Open it up either from Dash or Menu. The first look of SparkleShare will be as shown below.
Enter the name and mail-id and click continue.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .