Patterns: A Quick Introduction
Patterns are files which contain a set of packages together with a description of what they are useful for. It can be used for a typical task or need in SUSE/openSUSE platforms. Patterns contains group of softwares to install. Pattern is something similar to “yum groupinstall” command that saves your time by installing group of software packages easily without having to install them manually one by one.
For example, you want to install LAMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP) Server. What will you do? First you have to install apache, then MySQL and finally PHP. This is such a time consuming process. Wouldn’t be nice if you did all the above tasks with one command? This is where Pattern comes in handy.
To install LAMP server in openSUSE, just enter the following single command:
zypper -t pattern lamp_server
Cool, isn’t it? Just like this, you can install LDAP server, fileserver, dhcp server, dns server, mail server, internet gateway server, voip server, kvm server, development tools and much more in one command.
To search list of available Patterns in openSUSE, enter the following command:
zypper se -t pattern
zypper search -t pattern
S | Name | Summary | Type --+-------------------+-------------------------------------+-------- i | apparmor | AppArmor | pattern i | base | Base System | pattern | books | Documentation | pattern | console | Console Tools | pattern i | devel_C_C++ | C/C++ Development | pattern i | devel_basis | Base Development | pattern | devel_gnome | GNOME Development | pattern | devel_ide | Integrated Development Environments | pattern | devel_java | Java Development | pattern | devel_kde | KDE Development | pattern | devel_kernel | Linux Kernel Development | pattern | devel_mono | .NET Development | pattern i | devel_perl | Perl Development | pattern | devel_python | Python Development | pattern | devel_qt4 | Qt 4 Development | pattern | devel_rpm_build | RPM Build Environment | pattern | devel_ruby | Ruby Development | pattern | devel_tcl | Tcl/Tk Development | pattern | devel_web | Web Development | pattern | devel_yast | YaST Development | pattern | dhcp_dns_server | DHCP and DNS Server | pattern | directory_server | Directory Server (LDAP) | pattern | e17 | Enlightment | pattern i | enhanced_base | Enhanced Base System | pattern | file_server | File Server | pattern i | fonts | Fonts | pattern | games | Games | pattern | gateway_server | Internet Gateway | pattern | gnome | GNOME Desktop Environment | pattern | gnome_basis | GNOME Base System | pattern i | imaging | Graphics | pattern | kde4 | KDE4 Desktop Environment | pattern | kde4_basis | KDE4 Base System | pattern | kvm_server | KVM Host Server | pattern | lamp_server | Web and LAMP Server | pattern i | laptop | Laptop | pattern i | lxde | LXDE Desktop Environment | pattern | mail_server | Mail and News Server | pattern | misc_server | Miscellaneous Server | pattern i | multimedia | Multimedia | pattern | network_admin | Network Administration | pattern | non_oss | Misc. Proprietary Packages | pattern | office | Office Software | pattern | print_server | Print Server | pattern i | remote_desktop | Remote Desktop | pattern i | sw_management | Software Management | pattern | tabletpc | TabletPC | pattern | technical_writing | Technical Writing | pattern | voip | Voice Over IP Clients | pattern | webyast | WebYaST | pattern i | x11 | X Window System | pattern | xen_server | Xen Virtual Machine Host Server | pattern | xfce | XFCE Desktop Environment | pattern | xfce_basis | XFCE Base System | pattern | yast2_basis | YaST System Administration | pattern | yast2_install_wf | YaST Installation Packages | pattern
Installing Pattern is easy as the way we install a single package.
zypper in -t pattern <pattern_name>
zypper install -t pattern <pattern_name>
To install DNCP and DNS Server:
zypper in -t pattern dhcp_dns_server
To install LDAP server:
zypper in -t pattern directory_server
To install build essentials (Development Tools):
zypper in -t pattern devel_C_C++
As see above, you don’t have to install all packages one by one. Pattern will do this for you. Just sit back and relax!
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...1 comment |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal : From github repo nsnake is a clone of the classic snake game that we all used to play on our cellp...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .