OpenIndiana Project Leader Resigns
On August 28, the Project Leader and Founder of OpenIndiana, Alasdair Lumsden, resigned from his position effective immediately. OpenIndiana was the fork of which was originally OpenSolaris. When Oracle announced to sudden death of OpenSolaris, post their acquisition of former technology giant, Sun Microsystems, it was quickly forked and split into two entirely new entities. OpenIndiana would become the new project for a desktop distribution release based around the OpenSolaris model. And Illumos would become the new project for the kernel development.
Since its beginnings, OpenIndiana has struggled to make a real dent in the enterprise desktop Unix market. Although not a crowded market in comparison to the Linux alternative, OpenIndiana persisted nevertheless. But OpenIndiana was not only fighting for desktop share in the Unix world, but they were also fighting against the ever growing Linux market. In which itself has grown in use and popularity in the home, business and enterprise. OpenIndiana has never really been able to grow in the same way has competing open-source operating systems, yet loyal followers, users and developers alike of the project has been very loyal. Illumos has been slightly more productive and progressive when it comes to development. Enjoying the success, Illumos provides the very core base for operating systems such as SmartOS, Nexenta and more.
In the coming days, we’ll be providing Unixmen readers with an exclusive interview with Alasdair Lumsden regarding his resignation.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu : Hi unixmen readers! How are you? In this article we will teach you how to install the desktop vers...3 comments |
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP : This is the continuation of our previous tutorial. In our previous tutorial we learned how to instal...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu : GLPI is the Information Resource-Manager with an additional Administration Interface. You can use it...0 comments |
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .