OpenIndiana Project Leader Resigns
On August 28, the Project Leader and Founder of OpenIndiana, Alasdair Lumsden, resigned from his position effective immediately. OpenIndiana was the fork of which was originally OpenSolaris. When Oracle announced to sudden death of OpenSolaris, post their acquisition of former technology giant, Sun Microsystems, it was quickly forked and split into two entirely new entities. OpenIndiana would become the new project for a desktop distribution release based around the OpenSolaris model. And Illumos would become the new project for the kernel development.
Since its beginnings, OpenIndiana has struggled to make a real dent in the enterprise desktop Unix market. Although not a crowded market in comparison to the Linux alternative, OpenIndiana persisted nevertheless. But OpenIndiana was not only fighting for desktop share in the Unix world, but they were also fighting against the ever growing Linux market. In which itself has grown in use and popularity in the home, business and enterprise. OpenIndiana has never really been able to grow in the same way has competing open-source operating systems, yet loyal followers, users and developers alike of the project has been very loyal. Illumos has been slightly more productive and progressive when it comes to development. Enjoying the success, Illumos provides the very core base for operating systems such as SmartOS, Nexenta and more.
In the coming days, we’ll be providing Unixmen readers with an exclusive interview with Alasdair Lumsden regarding his resignation.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10 : Introduction Fail2Ban is an intrusion prevention framework written in the Python programming l...0 comments |
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful : Running a business can be very stressful. You have to think about team collaboration, making sure th...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- install Git in Ubuntu : Git is a distributed revision control system with an emphasis on speed. Git was initially designed a...0 comments |
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5 : I will show you in this tutorial how to install your first cluster Corosync and the Linux Cluster Ma...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .