Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
OpenIndiana Project Leader Resigns
On August 28, the Project Leader and Founder of OpenIndiana, Alasdair Lumsden, resigned from his position effective immediately. OpenIndiana was the fork of which was originally OpenSolaris. When Oracle announced to sudden death of OpenSolaris, post their acquisition of former technology giant, Sun Microsystems, it was quickly forked and split into two entirely new entities. OpenIndiana would become the new project for a desktop distribution release based around the OpenSolaris model. And Illumos would become the new project for the kernel development.
Since its beginnings, OpenIndiana has struggled to make a real dent in the enterprise desktop Unix market. Although not a crowded market in comparison to the Linux alternative, OpenIndiana persisted nevertheless. But OpenIndiana was not only fighting for desktop share in the Unix world, but they were also fighting against the ever growing Linux market. In which itself has grown in use and popularity in the home, business and enterprise. OpenIndiana has never really been able to grow in the same way has competing open-source operating systems, yet loyal followers, users and developers alike of the project has been very loyal. Illumos has been slightly more productive and progressive when it comes to development. Enjoying the success, Illumos provides the very core base for operating systems such as SmartOS, Nexenta and more.
In the coming days, we’ll be providing Unixmen readers with an exclusive interview with Alasdair Lumsden regarding his resignation.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Steganography- Hide Your Files Inside An Image in Linux : Nowadays, our personal computer is not only a work tool, it is also our private space where we sto...5 comment(s) |
- How to use Remote Desktop in Ubuntu : Sometimes, we need to access our computer from other locations when we’re not at home and such. This...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Steganography- Hide Your Files Inside An Image in Linux
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .