New Features Pack for Precise Pangolin (Ubuntu 12.04)
As usual, Canonical is on schedule with development of Ubuntu 12.04 “Precise Pangolin”. This is perhaps the reason for Ubuntu’s success over the years. With the completion of the Ubuntu Developers Summit, the clear course for development of Precise Pangolin is now established. This also means a list of changes that will come the new version.
Ubuntu will henceforth support 640-bit image
Perhaps the most significant change for Ubuntu will be the switch to 64-bit images. This means that Ubuntu will, select the 64-bit by default. The option of downloading 32-bit images is also available. Ubuntu did not support 64-bit images earlier due to lack of multiarch support. As multiarch support is now available, 64-bit is actively supported with Precise.
750MB ISO means DVD
As difficulties in placing the entire cycle on the CD was a challenge in the last cycle itself, Precise Pangolin now migrates to DVD and you also have an option of using the USB stick. Despite the availability of space, only 50MB was placed on the DVD.
Greeter to improve
First, the Unity Greeter in conjunction with the LightDM will be used to lock the screen. Secondly, by connecting to message indicator more info maybe displayed. Thirdly, the wallpaper used for the greeter will be used for the LightDM as well.
Other expected changes include addition of theme widgets. Login Box resemble lenses, will also include a password changer or implement session option along and necessary design improvements.
Ubuntu Software Center Upgraded
First the startup time will speeded up from the present 11.2s to 2s. A check box to launch new applications from Launcher will be added for auto addition of any newly installed applications on the launcher. Critical Synaptic features will be added to the Ubuntu Software Center, which will reinstall, update as well as pin a version to it.
New categories to be added to USC include- lens and scopes, support plug-ins, new interface that will manage help and application refund. Changes for supporting multiple screenshots, as well as localized screenshots and multiple screenshots will be included. Addition of videos, improving application sync between computers as well as Indicators are some of the new categories that will be included.
Advanced Unity features
While only chosen apps can be whitelisted, integration of apps with Unity is greatly advanced including badges, quicklists etc. Other features will include dragging lenses into launchers and for Unity 2D, Unity window decoration buttons for window maximization are included.
Wayland may be included for tech preview.
Precise Pangolin will be free of Mono as the only two remaining Tomboy and Gbrancy applications using it are dropped. This means that Rhythmbox will now replace Banshee for the same reason.
Remmina and FreeRDP will be replaced by Vinagre, tsclient as well as rdesktop as Gnome is likely to drop Vinagre soon. Besides Remmina supports better UI in comparison to Vinagre.
Control Center may soon absorb Zeitgeist Activity Log Manger for better management of folders and history.
Changes which were not included include Pi TiVi Video editor, GNOME Sushi as well as GNOME Documents.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .