New Features Pack for Precise Pangolin (Ubuntu 12.04)
As usual, Canonical is on schedule with development of Ubuntu 12.04 “Precise Pangolin”. This is perhaps the reason for Ubuntu’s success over the years. With the completion of the Ubuntu Developers Summit, the clear course for development of Precise Pangolin is now established. This also means a list of changes that will come the new version.
Ubuntu will henceforth support 640-bit image
Perhaps the most significant change for Ubuntu will be the switch to 64-bit images. This means that Ubuntu will, select the 64-bit by default. The option of downloading 32-bit images is also available. Ubuntu did not support 64-bit images earlier due to lack of multiarch support. As multiarch support is now available, 64-bit is actively supported with Precise.
750MB ISO means DVD
As difficulties in placing the entire cycle on the CD was a challenge in the last cycle itself, Precise Pangolin now migrates to DVD and you also have an option of using the USB stick. Despite the availability of space, only 50MB was placed on the DVD.
Greeter to improve
First, the Unity Greeter in conjunction with the LightDM will be used to lock the screen. Secondly, by connecting to message indicator more info maybe displayed. Thirdly, the wallpaper used for the greeter will be used for the LightDM as well.
Other expected changes include addition of theme widgets. Login Box resemble lenses, will also include a password changer or implement session option along and necessary design improvements.
Ubuntu Software Center Upgraded
First the startup time will speeded up from the present 11.2s to 2s. A check box to launch new applications from Launcher will be added for auto addition of any newly installed applications on the launcher. Critical Synaptic features will be added to the Ubuntu Software Center, which will reinstall, update as well as pin a version to it.
New categories to be added to USC include- lens and scopes, support plug-ins, new interface that will manage help and application refund. Changes for supporting multiple screenshots, as well as localized screenshots and multiple screenshots will be included. Addition of videos, improving application sync between computers as well as Indicators are some of the new categories that will be included.
Advanced Unity features
While only chosen apps can be whitelisted, integration of apps with Unity is greatly advanced including badges, quicklists etc. Other features will include dragging lenses into launchers and for Unity 2D, Unity window decoration buttons for window maximization are included.
Wayland may be included for tech preview.
Precise Pangolin will be free of Mono as the only two remaining Tomboy and Gbrancy applications using it are dropped. This means that Rhythmbox will now replace Banshee for the same reason.
Remmina and FreeRDP will be replaced by Vinagre, tsclient as well as rdesktop as Gnome is likely to drop Vinagre soon. Besides Remmina supports better UI in comparison to Vinagre.
Control Center may soon absorb Zeitgeist Activity Log Manger for better management of folders and history.
Changes which were not included include Pi TiVi Video editor, GNOME Sushi as well as GNOME Documents.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals : In a previous article I wrote a bit about Tor. Free browser, relays bouncing your IP all over the ...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...0 comments |
- Canonical Works with Cisco! : The Ubuntu distribution is known to everybody nowadays, right? The company behind its development ...1 comment |
- Setup LDAP Server in CentOS, RHEL, Scientific linux 6.5/6.4/6.3 : In this tutorial we are going to setup LDAP server using 389 Directory Server. The 389 Directory Ser...0 comments |
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu : Hey Guys, I installed Fedora on an external drive (LVM) recently and was trying to access it from U...0 comments |
- Download 11 Community Wallpapers Chosen For Ubuntu 14.04 “Trusty Tahr”
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS “Trusty Tahr” Default Wallpaper Revealed!
- Canonical Works with Cisco!
- Android Intercom: An Excellent Intercom App For Bikers Or Hiking Fans
- Install Google Talk Plugin In Fedora 20
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .