Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
New Features Pack for Precise Pangolin (Ubuntu 12.04)
As usual, Canonical is on schedule with development of Ubuntu 12.04 “Precise Pangolin”. This is perhaps the reason for Ubuntu’s success over the years. With the completion of the Ubuntu Developers Summit, the clear course for development of Precise Pangolin is now established. This also means a list of changes that will come the new version.
Ubuntu will henceforth support 640-bit image
Perhaps the most significant change for Ubuntu will be the switch to 64-bit images. This means that Ubuntu will, select the 64-bit by default. The option of downloading 32-bit images is also available. Ubuntu did not support 64-bit images earlier due to lack of multiarch support. As multiarch support is now available, 64-bit is actively supported with Precise.
750MB ISO means DVD
As difficulties in placing the entire cycle on the CD was a challenge in the last cycle itself, Precise Pangolin now migrates to DVD and you also have an option of using the USB stick. Despite the availability of space, only 50MB was placed on the DVD.
Greeter to improve
First, the Unity Greeter in conjunction with the LightDM will be used to lock the screen. Secondly, by connecting to message indicator more info maybe displayed. Thirdly, the wallpaper used for the greeter will be used for the LightDM as well.
Other expected changes include addition of theme widgets. Login Box resemble lenses, will also include a password changer or implement session option along and necessary design improvements.
Ubuntu Software Center Upgraded
First the startup time will speeded up from the present 11.2s to 2s. A check box to launch new applications from Launcher will be added for auto addition of any newly installed applications on the launcher. Critical Synaptic features will be added to the Ubuntu Software Center, which will reinstall, update as well as pin a version to it.
New categories to be added to USC include- lens and scopes, support plug-ins, new interface that will manage help and application refund. Changes for supporting multiple screenshots, as well as localized screenshots and multiple screenshots will be included. Addition of videos, improving application sync between computers as well as Indicators are some of the new categories that will be included.
Advanced Unity features
While only chosen apps can be whitelisted, integration of apps with Unity is greatly advanced including badges, quicklists etc. Other features will include dragging lenses into launchers and for Unity 2D, Unity window decoration buttons for window maximization are included.
Wayland may be included for tech preview.
Precise Pangolin will be free of Mono as the only two remaining Tomboy and Gbrancy applications using it are dropped. This means that Rhythmbox will now replace Banshee for the same reason.
Remmina and FreeRDP will be replaced by Vinagre, tsclient as well as rdesktop as Gnome is likely to drop Vinagre soon. Besides Remmina supports better UI in comparison to Vinagre.
Control Center may soon absorb Zeitgeist Activity Log Manger for better management of folders and history.
Changes which were not included include Pi TiVi Video editor, GNOME Sushi as well as GNOME Documents.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .