Mozilla now ready for OS
Looks like Mozilla wants to do it all alone and go the whole vertical. From browsers to version games and now looks poised to play Operating Systems giants Microsoft and Google Chrome at their own game. That both Microsoft and Chrome have had far too many battles is indeed to Mozilla advantage, as it wants to look beyond yesterday’s technologies and migrate to emerging technologies it likes to call Web Technologies. Androids is another worthy opponent that Mozilla is willing baiting as it looks to build a new platform for new device formats from mobiles upwards to good old workhorse the desktop.
Applications is what Mozilla has set its sights on and instead of waiting around for these giants to develop something suitable for Firefox and co, this Mozilla technology scaling to the next level Open source Operating Systems. The list of features is loaded some fanciful, some that will need a trick or two from pros and some so simple but highly enriching features that even product veterans will wake up to watch.
However, the question beyond feature capabilities, is Mozilla’s capability that is in question. It has to be said that Mozilla made its mark by sheer grit of its browser. Now to move away from proven competencies into unchartered waters is indeed a risk and the project developers are indeed placing a lot at stake.
This is a ‘open web’ project that calls itself the ‘Boot to Gecko’ (B2G) and is looking to build the next generation of operating system. Therefore, the goal looks to go beyond overcoming the limitations of proprietary, single vendor stacks and looks to operate on application development.
A Peek at Boot to Gecko
Mozilla is looking at Web APIs that work with cameras, USBs will support Bluetooth and will boot Android add-ons and family.
A privilege model that will prevent these capabilities being wrongfully exploited along with a low level operating system that is bootable and to keep the new system running, the selection and creation of a number of applications for exercising new system.
Android based entry-level system
However, developers want to keep android as a starting point for booting as the project is aiming at the mobile device space first. Given Android’s high presence, prototyping and scope to adapt to other platforms will increase and therefore B2G will have greater scope.
Initial discussions are happening at this thread. Some related work in this type of domain is seen in W3C Device API. However, the flaws in bit input, audio, sensors and networking hardware were exposed in the browser and does not seen a very good precedent for B2G to follow.
B2G by Mozillas will be the way forward and its ultimate goal to offer ’native-grade’ applications directly on web in addition to Firefox is path breaking and applaudable!
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .