Linux Mint 16 “Petra” Cinnamon RC Has Been Released!
After six months of incremental development on top of stable and reliable technologies the Linux Mint developer team has announced the release of Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon Edition. This new release of Linux Mint includes updated software, new features and many fixes.
This release which is the fruit of hard work for six months, comes with two distinct flavors, Cinnamon and MATE. But, what are some new features in this Linux Mint edition?
According to the official release announcement, the following are new the features in Linux Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon Edition:
- Cinnamon 2.0
- Login Screen
- USB Stick support
- Performance improvements
- Software Manager
- System Improvements
- Artwork Improvements
- Main Components
Cinnamon 2.0 features many improvements, a lot of bug fixes and new features. Cinnamon is now able to play sounds when you perform common events such as closing windows, switching workspaces and you can also set the volume for these sounds independently of the main sound volume. Cinnamon 2.0 introduces a new applet which makes session and account related tasks very easy.
System administrators can administrate users and groups with the “Users and Groups” configuration tool and you can change your password from the new “Account Details” configuration screen.
Fast! This is the best word to describe the Software Manager in this release of Linux Mint. A nice thing that everyone will like is that this Software Manager uses less memory than before and applications can now show multiple screenshots. Fast to search, fast to start.
Do you use the terminal for performing your daily tasks in your Linux Mint machine? Cool, Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon Edition offers a better terminal experience than before and it includes “ll” as an alias to “ls -al”. Why do “ls -al” when you can just do “ll” and be faster than ever while listing files in the working directory?
Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon Edition thinks about gamers too! It now offers better support to Steam and its addition in the repositories and the featured section of the Software Manager.
What about privacy? Linux Mint 16 offers additional private/secure search engines for you guys that take secure browsing very seriously.
Better help support, safer kernel updates, faster boot sequence and faster login. What about apple fans? Yes, apple. We are linux guys, but sharing and caring is the most important thing to us. Linux Mint 16 includes out of the box support for iOS devices, this will make apple fans very happy.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals : In a previous article I wrote a bit about Tor. Free browser, relays bouncing your IP all over the ...1 comment |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...0 comments |
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu : Hey Guys, I installed Fedora on an external drive (LVM) recently and was trying to access it from U...0 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker) : In our previous tutorial, we have shown you how to install corosync and pacemaker. We will show y...0 comments |
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04 : Satis is a simple static composer repository generator. It is used in any composer.json file as i...0 comments |
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS “Trusty Tahr” Default Wallpaper Revealed!
- Canonical Works with Cisco!
- Android Intercom: An Excellent Intercom App For Bikers Or Hiking Fans
- Install Google Talk Plugin In Fedora 20
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .