Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
Linux kernel 3.12.2 has been released few days before and all users are recommended to upgrade to the latest kernel. This release has many bug fixes and improvements that includes PowerPC, ia64, ARM, s390 and x86 fixes, numerous updated drivers, including USB, SCSI, Wireless, Bluetooth, ACPI and Nouveau, some filesystem improvements (NFS, Btrfs and XFS), sound improvements, as well as other bugfixes.
- ACPI / video: Quirk initial backlight level 0
- prepend_path() needs to reinitialize dentry/vfsmount/mnt on restarts
- powerpc/52xx: fix build breakage for MPC5200 LPBFIFO module
- powerpc: ppc64 address space capped at 32TB, mmap randomisation disabled
- powerpc/pseries: Duplicate dtl entries sometimes sent to userspace
- drm/nvc0-/gr: fix a number of missing explicit array terminators…
- arm/arm64: KVM: Fix hyp mappings of vmalloc regions
- nfsd: split up nfsd_setattr
- nfsd: make sure to balance get/put_write_access
- slub: Handle NULL parameter in kmem_cache_flags
- libertas: potential oops in debugfs
- ALSA: hda – Make sure mute LEDs stay on during runtime suspend (Realtek)
- ALSA: hda – Fix Line Out automute on Realtek multifunction jacks
- ALSA: hda – Add headset quirk for Dell Inspiron 3135
- xfs: be more forgiving of a v4 secondary sb w/ junk in v5 fields
- rt2x00: fix a crash bug in the HT descriptor handling fix
- x86/apic: Disable I/O APIC before shutdown of the local APIC.
- rt2x00: rt2800lib: fix VGC adjustment for RT5592.
- KVM: IOMMU: hva align mapping page size.
Read more details in official announcement.
Install or Upgrade Kernel 3.12.2 On Ubuntu / Linux Mint / Debian / Pear OS
Download the latest kernel for Ubuntu / Linux Mint at this page. Or follow the steps below to download and install this kernel:
Open Terminal and enter the following commands one by one.
For 32 bit system:
$ wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.12.2-trusty/linux-headers-3.12.2-031202-generic_3.12.2-031202.201311291538_i386.deb $ wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.12.2-trusty/linux-headers-3.12.2-031202_3.12.2-031202.201311291538_all.deb $ wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.12.2-trusty/linux-image-3.12.2-031202-generic_3.12.2-031202.201311291538_i386.deb
For 64 bit system:
$ wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.12.2-trusty/linux-headers-3.12.2-031202-generic_3.12.2-031202.201311291538_amd64.deb $ wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.12.2-trusty/linux-headers-3.12.2-031202_3.12.2-031202.201311291538_all.deb $ wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.12.2-trusty/linux-image-3.12.2-031202-generic_3.12.2-031202.201311291538_amd64.deb
Now install all downloaded packages as shown below.
$ sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.12.2-*.deb linux-image-3.12.2-*.deb
Reboot your system to login to your new kernel.
Caution: If something goes wrong, please boot into old kernel and remove Linux 3.12.2 kernel as shown below.
$ sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-3.12.2-* linux-image-3.12.2-*
Check the Kernel version using command:
$ uname -r
If you have any errors or doubts, please do comment in the comment section.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .