LibreOffice 4.1 Beta 1 Arrives With Loads of Features Including Symphony Sidebar
LibreOffice 4.1 Beta 1 has finally arrived and once again highlights the exceptional talent of the 600+ developers working under the aegis of The Document Foundation to build one of the greatest office productivity on the open source program.
It is unbelievable that LibreOffice which forked from OpenOffice.org (the first open-source free office suite) when it was committed to Apache, is now backed by the most vibrant developer community allowing to achieve milestone after milestone in open-source history.
In its current version, LibreOffice 4.1 is more stable and comes loaded with a host of features that allow users to embed fonts directly in the editor–Writer, Calc as well as Impress. This helps in quick sharing as well. The most noticeable other feature that this version will provide is a graphic interface. This will then allow the introduction of a sidebar that is sourced from Lotus Symphony.
Incidentally, IBM had committed the Lotus Symphony office suite to Apache and released the source code. Based on this, OpenOffice too will launch AOO or Apache OpenOffice version 4.0x with a sidebar. Though there is a chance of introducing the same sidebar in LibreOffice, it is most likely that The Document Foundation will add to it substantially to improve the integration with the complete office suite.
With the new side bar, LibreOffice is expected to provide increased number of tools that will improve the experience over font management, color management and more.
In fact, it is possible to customize the sidebar to meet individual needs of the end-user.
Some of the great features now available on LibreOffice latest version include support to import HTML files (with more than 64,000 table cells); support 44 new features import and export in Excel 2013; shortcut to create wallpaper collections with Photo Album ; removed nearly 15,000 lines of Java leading to rewrite of Python wizard Agenda.
Additionally new media files will be supported including WMA, AAC and WMC; as well as creation of best list of just used documents along with a drop-down menu and open button. The search bar is also tweaked and will provide ‘perfect match.’ Gallery is hugely improved with new collection in Symphony. Another improvement is the hyphenation feature now available on text cells and figure cells.
As the stable version of LibreOffice is expected by late July 2013, it is expected that the graphical interface will be available. If you want to test this Beta release, you can download it from here.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .