Introducing Kids to Linux Using DoudouLinux
DoudouLinux is an operating system targeting young children. It aims at making computer use as simple and pleasant as possible; while also making computer use more accessible to all children on earth, without discrimination, in order to favor their self-fulfillment. In this section you will learn more about how it works, how it is designed, who developed it, how it came to be, why, and so on
Say you have some kids in your house and want to introduce them to Linux, DoudouLinux is a great one. You might be wondering why DoudouLinux, despite the fact that we have other Linux distros targeted at kids especially at the ages of 2 to 4, this is also a great choice.
DoudouLinux is a Debian based distro. The current release is DoudouLinux 2.0. It has a lot applications ranging educational to entertainment. And not to forget all the games are very educational. Making learning very easy and interesting for the kids as well. Some of these application train the kids in improving mouse and keyboard drills. DoudouLinux is also portable.
DoudouLinux I will say not only the kids will fall in love with it but even the old will. Why? When I was writing this post. I spent more than 2 hours just enjoying the sections under the “Learn” tab above. That is the alphabet association in which the computer pronounces the alphabet and you click on it. If you are not able to do so it will help you after some time of delay.
– All of the advanced activities have been deeply redesigned.
– The DoudouLinux graphic design has been totally changed, for a less “baby-looking” environment.
– Better Internet experience thanks to new user privacy tools
– Easier localization (new tools to set language, keyboard layout, date, time and timezone).
– Around 30 new applications, to draw, learn music, have fun, etc.
– Available in 43 languages, instead of 28 formerly.
– A totally new, real installer, to install DoudouLinux on dedicated computers.
You can also take a quick tour of DoudouLinux here
Minimum System Requirements
– 256 MB of RAM.
– 800 MHz processor.
Download DoudouLinux (English)
– For other Languages
Easy to install. If you don’t want to install DoudouLinx to your hard disk, Linux distros are always noted for one thing “Live CD/USB“. Just burn the image to a DVD or make a bootable USB anytime you want to use it, you are good to go.
Below are the images of My Paint application for practicing drawing and the Epiphany browser for surfing the web and SuperTuxKart game.