Installing XScreenSaver In Ubuntu
This tutorial intention is to show you how to add screen savers in Ubuntu 12.04 (although in other Ubuntu versions) which does not with any screen savers. But, many people new to computers and Linux, don’t know about the screensaver, what is a screensaver?
A screensaver is a computer program used primarily for security. This program blanks the screen or fills it with moving images or patterns when the computer is not in use. A screensaver can also be used for entertainment or to display system status information. It is a very good solution while you plan to leave your office and don’t want anybody to see what you working on.
How does a screensaver makes my computer secure?
A screensaver can be configured to ask users for a password before permitting the user to resume work, but be careful because if you have set set your account to automatically log in upon startup the attacker will be able to access your account simply by restarting the machine.
How to install a screensaver?
Fire up a new terminal like shown in Figure 1.
Before installing a new screensaver we have to remove the default one. Run the ‘sudo apt-get remove gnome-screensaver’ command shown in Figure 2 to uninstall gnome-screensaver.
Install XScreenSaver and some additional screensaver packages with the following command:
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra
XScreenSaver will choose a random screensaver each time it starts. You can learn how to configure it here.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .