Install Percona Server 5.6 And phpMyAdmin On Debian 7 Wheezy
Percona Server is an enhanced drop-in replacement of MySQL. The latest version Percona Server 5.6 is made available for download with new features and many improvements. In this tutorial let me show you how to install it on Debian 7 Wheezy server.
Install Percona Server 5.6 On Debian 7
Before installing Percona Server on your machine, I strongly suggest you to backup your existing database backup if any. And then remove the existing MySQL server using the following commands:
apt-get remove mysql* apt-get purge mysql* apt-get autoremeve
Also remove any web based database administration tools like phpMyAdmin.
apt-get remove phpmyadmin apt-get autoremove
First you should add the key to your server.
apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 1C4CBDCDCD2EFD2A
Then add the Percona Server Repository to your Debian 7 server.
To do so, open the file /etc/apt/sources.list in any editor.
Add the following lines in it.
deb http://repo.percona.com/apt wheezy main deb-src http://repo.percona.com/apt wheezy main
You might want to “pin” the Percona packages to avoid the upgrades from the distribution repositories.
Create a file /etc/apt/preferences.d/00percona.pref using the following command.
Add the following lines:
Package: * Pin: release o=Percona Development Team Pin-Priority: 1001
Update the sources list using the following command:
Now install Percona Server using the following command.
apt-get install percona-server-server-5.6 percona-server-client-5.6
During installation, you’ll be prompted to enter the password for Percona server ‘root’ user password.
apt-get install -f
This command will install all the missing dependencies and you will get successful installation.
Verify Percona Server
Enter the following command to check the successful installation of Percona Server.
mysql -u root -p
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g. Your MySQL connection id is 201 Server version: 5.6.14-62.0 Percona Server (GPL), Release 62.0 Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Percona LLC and/or its affiliates Copyright (c) 2000, 2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners. Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement. mysql>
As you see in the above output, we’re using Percona Server 5.6 now.
Manage Percona Databases using phpMyAdmin
phpMyAdmin is a free open-source web interface tool used to manage your MySQL databases. It is available in the Official Debian repositories.
Install phpMyAdmin using command:
apt-get install phpmyadmin
During installation you’ll be asked to select the webserver to configure automatically with phpMyAdmin. Here i chose apache webserver.
Select Yes to configure database for phpMyAdmin with dbconfig-common.
You should see the following screen. Enter the Percona database user name and password to login.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...2 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...3 comments |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal : From github repo nsnake is a clone of the classic snake game that we all used to play on our cellp...0 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .