How to install Photoshop in Ubuntu and LinuxMint
Photoshop is an important tool to many of us here. There are people who stick with Windows or Mac for gaining a native environment to use this tool on. For Linux users, there is Gimp, the perfect alternative to Photoshop . However, there are some users that are used for photoshop and they can not switch to Gimp for some reason..
Using wine to install Photoshop used to work fine upto Ubuntu version 10.04, but it now breaks for 10.10 and/or Natty.
This tutorial will show you the shortest way to install PS CS5 on the latest builds of Ubuntu available.
Things you’re going to need:
A Computer Running Ubuntu Maverick or Natty
A Computer running windows (Or a VM, your choice)
A Copy of the Adobe CS5 installer. This is publicly downloadable on the Adobe website (Shareware).
Let’s get started, shall we?
Install Adobe Cs5 on your windows machine first. We need to copy a few registry entries from there for PS to work fine in Ubuntu. After the installation, run regedit and navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Adobe“
Right click on the Adobe folder and select “Export”, name this file “PS.reg”.
Switch to your Ubuntu machine now.
Install wine and the Microsoft true-type fonts with the command below.
sudo apt-get install wine ttf-mscorefonts-installer
Then run the following to create your own .wine folder.
PS is a native windows app and has a few Windows based dependencies. We need to use winetricks to install this. Execute the following:
sh winetricks msxml6 gdiplus gecko vcrun2005sp1 vcrun2008 msxml3 atmlib
Now comes the tiresome part. Since we can’t use the installer on Ubuntu, we’ll need to copy the needed files over from Windows to Ubuntu. These are the files you need to copy and where they need to go.
C:Program FilesAdobe ----> $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe
C:Program FilesCommon FilesAdobe ----> $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe
C:Documents and Settings$USERApplication DataAdobe ----> $HOME/.wine/drive_c/users/$USER/Applications Data/Adobe
C:windowssystem32odbcint.dll ----> $HOME/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/odbcint.dll
Once that’s done, copy over your “PS.reg” file from your Windows machine to your home directory and execute the command below.
wine regedit adobe.reg
That’ll import the registry entries into the wine registry. We are done.
To test it out, go to go to “Home -> .wine -> drive_c -> Program Files -> Adobe ->Adobe Photoshop CS5“ with your favorite shell and right click on the ‘Photoshop.exe’ and select “Open with Wine Windows Program Loader”
PS CS5 should now load. You might consider creating a shortcut and placing it on your desktop for easier access.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...1 comment |
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released! : TeamViewer is a commercial all-in-one software that can be used for remote control, desktop sharing,...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .