How to disable server signature using .htaccess or by editing Apache?
Question : How to disable server signature using .htaccess or by editing apache config file?
Attackers can use server signature to their advantage when performing an attack, this is the reason why it is always advised to disable the server signature.
There are 2 methods to do it
1- Using .htaccess:
Open your public_html folder (Browse public_html using ftp to display all hiden files)
Now to disable the server’s signature used to identify the server, use the following code in your .htaccess file:
# Disable server signature ServerSignature Off
This will hide the Apache version normally seen at the bottom of your 404 error pages, directory listing..etc.
2- Disable signature by editing httpd.conf
There are two directives that you need to add, or edit in your httpd.conf / apache2.conf file:
For Ubuntu and LinuxMint edit apache conf using the following command (for Centos/Fedora edit httpd.conf):
cd /etc/apache2/ vi apache2.conf
and add these 2 lines at the bottom of the file:
ServerSignature Off ServerTokens Prod
The ServerSignature appears on the bottom of pages generated by apache such as 404 pages, directory listings, etc.
The ServerTokens directive is used to determine what Apache will put in the Server HTTP response header. By setting it to Prod it sets the HTTP response header as follows:
When is done, restart apache:
/etc/init.d/httpd restart CentOS/Fedora/RHEL sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart Ubuntu/Debian/LinuxMint
Here are the results in my linuxmint:
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .