Gimp 2.8 is out! | PPA Ubuntu
Gimp is one of the most important tools we Linux users have in our hands being a powerful application that covers the specialized needs of photo manipulators. It may not be perfect, or as good as other commercial applications, but it is getting better and better with every release and is already very powerful and useful. It is natural that the linux world directs its attention to it every time a new major release comes out and this time it is the “majorest” ever!
After 3.5 years of exciting work, the developers of Gimp announced today the release of the long awaited 2.8 version that brings many new things to be happy about.
The most notable of all is the Single window mode option that users can choose over the default multi window mode. This is something that many people have been asking for a long time and it is finally here making things more handy and efficient.
Except for this there have been a ton of changes, improvements and additions of new features and you can read all about them on the release notes. Among them you will find other long anticipated features like layer groups, on-canvas text editing and advanced brush dynamics.
Currently version 2.8 is only available for the GNU/Linux platform but builds for Windows and Mac will soon be available too. If you don’t want to wait for your distribution to make a package for Gimp 2.8 available, proceed and download the source by pressing this button.
If you want to install Gimp2.8 in Ubuntu and LinuxMint you can use the following PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gimp
For other Linux distros, download Gimp2.8 from this link:
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update : Canonical has released security updates for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and advices to update your system as so...1 comment |
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released! : TeamViewer is a commercial all-in-one software that can be used for remote control, desktop sharing,...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .