The open-source multimedia converter for linux Curlew has reached version 0.1.22.3 bringing some missing dialog icons, a “Português – Brazil” translation and an updated russian translation.
Curlew is an open-source multimedia converter for linux with a support for more than 100 different file formats. It can also be used to add subtitles to your video file and show file informations such as duration, remaining time, estimated size, and progress value.
I find this file converter very easy to use because of the simple and friendly user interface it has. Some of its main features are:
- Easy to use with simple user interface.
- Hide the advanced options with the ability to show them.
- Convert to more than 100 different formats.
- Show file informations (duration, remaining time, estimated size, progress value).
- Allow to skip or remove file during conversion process.
- Preview file before conversion.
- Convert a specified portion of file.
- Combine subtitle with video file.
Show error details if exist.
If you want to install Curlew in your Ubuntu machine you have to make sure your system meets the following dependencies:
- python >= 2.7 < 3.0
- python-gobject >= 3.0
- ffmpeg >= 0.8 (or libav-tools >= 0.8)
Then, open a new terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and run the following commands to install it from a PPA provided by the noobslab guys.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/apps sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install curlew