Convert Between RPM And DEB Package With Package Converter
Package Converter is a GUI Frontend for Alien written using Real basic. Alien is a program which is used to convert between Red Hat rpm, Debian deb, Stampede slp, Slackware tgz, and Solaris pkg file formats. If you want to use a package from another Linux distribution than the one you have installed on your system, you can use alien to convert it to your preferred package format and install it. It also supports LSB packages.
Install package Converter On Ubuntu/Linux Mint
Upubuntu team has developed a PPA to make it easier to install Package Converter on Ubuntu 13.04/12.10/12.04/11.10 and Linux Mint 14/13/12.
Add Package Converter PPA with command:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/ppa
Update packages list:
$ sudo apt-get update
If you are using 64bit system, install the following prerequisite.
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk
Now install Package Converter using the following command.
$ sudo apt-get install package-converter
Launch Package Converter
Open package converter either from the Dash or Menu. The default interface will look like below.
Converting between rpm and deb files using package converter is easier than using Alien. Add the by clicking on the (+) sign and select the output location by clicking on the (-) sign to save the file. Then select the output format to be converted from the Package Type drop-down box. Finally click on the green Gear button to start converting!That’s it. Now you’ll able to convert between various distribution packages.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...2 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...2 comments |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals : In a previous article I wrote a bit about Tor. Free browser, relays bouncing your IP all over the ...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .