Convert Between RPM And DEB Package With Package Converter
Package Converter is a GUI Frontend for Alien written using Real basic. Alien is a program which is used to convert between Red Hat rpm, Debian deb, Stampede slp, Slackware tgz, and Solaris pkg file formats. If you want to use a package from another Linux distribution than the one you have installed on your system, you can use alien to convert it to your preferred package format and install it. It also supports LSB packages.
Install package Converter On Ubuntu/Linux Mint
Upubuntu team has developed a PPA to make it easier to install Package Converter on Ubuntu 13.04/12.10/12.04/11.10 and Linux Mint 14/13/12.
Add Package Converter PPA with command:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/ppa
Update packages list:
$ sudo apt-get update
If you are using 64bit system, install the following prerequisite.
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk
Now install Package Converter using the following command.
$ sudo apt-get install package-converter
Launch Package Converter
Open package converter either from the Dash or Menu. The default interface will look like below.
Converting between rpm and deb files using package converter is easier than using Alien. Add the by clicking on the (+) sign and select the output location by clicking on the (-) sign to save the file. Then select the output format to be converted from the Package Type drop-down box. Finally click on the green Gear button to start converting!That’s it. Now you’ll able to convert between various distribution packages.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 : By default usernames are not displayed on panel in Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, In this simple tutorial w...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together : Hi linux geeks! In this article I will teach you a nice trick you can perform in the terminal with ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .