How To Check Internet Speed From Terminal Using Speedtest-cli
I was surfing the web today and came across this and want to share with you all. We all at a point in time tried checking our internet speed. Even those on slower connections to do, sometimes looking for means to speed their connections up.
speedtest.net is used mostly by everyone from the browser. But not all finds it easy especially very slow connection and sometimes flash problems. speedtest-cli is the Command line interface tool for testing internet bandwidth using speedtest.net.
One thing a like is about speedtest-cli is the –share option. This provides URL to the snapshot of the test and can be compared to that of using a browser. First of all speedtest-cli works with Python 2.4 – 3.4
There many options to choose from.
1. Install with pip.
First install pip if not installed.
$ sudo apt-get install python-pip
$ sudo yum install python-pip
Now install speedtest -cli
$ sudo pip install speedtest-cli
2. Install with easy_install
$ easy_install speedtest-cli
3. Manual Install
$ wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest_cli.py $ chmod +x speedtest-cli
Checkout the github page for more download and install options.
Testing Speed Using Speedtest-cli
Running speedtest-cli will automatically locate the closest Speedtest.net server to you, and display its distance from you, them present Download and Upload speeds.
To get a snapshot of the stats use the –share option. This will provide link to the image.
$ speedtest-cli --share
$ speedtest-cli --help
for more commands.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04 : Power Commands, power management application created by the Atareao team , this app helps users to...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian : uGet is a very light-weight and powerful open source download manager. On March 4th, 2014 Uget Do...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .