Cars running on Android
Android is now dominating a lot of industries than just smart phones and tablets. I have covered many topics related to Android use in other gadgets like watches, belts, and even mirrors. And since Android is becoming famous in other industries, it is also finding a place in the auto industry.
If I had read this news a couple of months back, I would have been surprised, but lately I’m seeing so many things running on Android that I won’t be surprised if they told us that our complete house can be managed by Android. Whoa wait, it can be. Developers are still working on that project. Does anybody have any details about it? Please share your knowledge through comments if you have any information about the Android house (I’m sure we all are curious to know more about it).
So anyway, continuing with our Android car, this one is called Roewe 350, and it had all the hype when it was launched (it is still very famous). Seems like an auto company made the right move and jumped on the Android bandwagon just in time.
It’s the world’s first car that comes loaded with Android. It’s not in a showroom near my house or else I would be there right now. It is connected to the outside world using a 3G connection that is currently operated by China Unicom. It’s got live weather reports, GPS services, text messaging and phone features. Plus it can connect to your Android smart phone using Bluetooth.
It was showcased in Beijing Auto Show and it has Android 2.1. So you’ll have real time traffic reports to help you decide the directions.
It was launched with a 1.5 VVT engine but they also have a 1.5 Turbo engine. It was expected to be priced at about 70,000 rmb (about 11,000 USD) to 130,000 rmb (20,000 USD).
The name Roewe is used by (SAIC) Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. as they bought Rover (British car maker) in 2004. Since then they have used this name in China.
Well I had no idea that Android was so popular in China as well. What’s more surprising is that this news is actually 2 years old!
Roewe was the first one, but many new cars will have Android technology, and soon. The one thing that they all will have is the Android audio visual navigation system that will help them find their way. These cars are in testing phase, and will soon be developed. Nissan and Produa are working in Malaysian and Thailand to develop cars that have Android based control panels. Of course these cars won’t actually run on Android per se, but they’ll have many collaborated apps.
Plans are still in the making, and we’ll most probably see these cars in near future. I’m sure there will be some Android cars soon running in the U.S. market as well.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...2 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal : From github repo nsnake is a clone of the classic snake game that we all used to play on our cellp...0 comments |
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .