Can MongoDB become King of NoSQL ?
Non-relational databases are an alternative to SQL databases and would rather call themselves ‘big data DBs’, say the pros in the industry. Calling non-relational databases as ‘No SQL’ is in a way misleading as this a ‘dynamic’ database platform. The most remarkable amongst the free structured data DB’s is MongoDB.
Presently, the crown prince of non-sequential database storing, this has tremendous following, an excellent developer community behind it and looks all set to become the King of NoSQL. Supported by 10gen, Mongo DB is an open source documented database that was begun in 2007 by two ex-DoubleClick employees, Dwight Merriman and Eliot Horowitz and was released in 2009. Dwight Merriman is also the CEO of 10gen while Eliot Horowitz is its CTO.
It is available on the GNU Affero General Public License and language drivers are supported with the Apache License. However, the commercial license is available with 10Gen.
King features of MongoDB
MongoDB is written in C++ and returns key value stores in conjunction with RDBMS systems. Therefore, Monodb’s are fast and have several functional features. It essentially manages json-type documents. This gives great flexibility and data modelling can be handled more naturally through documents itself. This also means that the regular features of SQL are retained however with embedded indexes etc, document-level handling happens making it a faster and easier Data Base Management System. Its open source license with full support through 10gen ensures that commercial supported is delivered for enterprises. The data can thus be nested within intricate hierarchies and yet remain as easy to query and index as SQL itself.
Some of the core features include-UTF-8 encoding, cross-platform support and compilation is possible on any little-endian system. Enriched for data types and offers quick support for dates, codes, binary data as well as BSON data types. Another feature is that cursors can be used to make queries.
Making its mark as the new generation of ‘databasing ‘, its native features include read/write-updating load is on massive scales. These ‘big data bases’ are adept at working thorough big web based apps, networks is seamless considering the number of people using Foursquare, Shutterfly on an hourly basis.
Advanced features such as replication, where developers guarantee that an operation has replicated to _N_ servers for every operation. What makes Mongo DB the king is the routing process. In fact , the DBMS gets its name from the process itself. The special routing process is called ‘mongos’ and performs just like a single MongoDB server.
MongoDB is a king-in-waiting as it is one of the best open source NoSQLs around!
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TimeShift: Restore Your Linux Desktop To Previous State
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .