Automatically Change the Desktop Wallpaper Using Variety on Ubuntu/Linux Mint
Windows OS users might have used Webshots desktop software which is used to change their desktop backgrounds at particular interval. The users don’t need to change the wallpapers manually, the Webshots desktop will do it for them. Unfortunately webshots are available only for Windows OS platforms. So if you want a similar tool on Linux particularly Ubuntu/Linux Mint desktops, yes there is a tool available called Variety.
Variety is a wallpaper changer for Ubuntu which is feature-full, yet slim and very easy to use. It can automatically download wallpapers from various online sources such as Flickr, Wallbase.cc, World sunlight map (a live wallpaper that changes as the day progresses), Wallpapers.net, NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day, Desktoppr.co etc. It allows rotating them on a regular interval or on demand, and provides easy to use ways to separate the great images from the junk.
Install Variety on Ubuntu/Linux Mint
Add the variety PPA from terminal:
sk@sk:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:peterlevi/ppa
Update the software source list:
sk@sk:~$ sudo apt-get update
And install it using the following command:
sk@sk:~$ sudo apt-get install variety
Launch Variety wallpaper changer from your Dash or Menu.
The Variety preferences window will look like below.
From here, you can define the time interval to change wallpaper, add source folder for the images. If you have a large collection of pictures in your local drive, specify the path by clicking on the Add button in the General tab. Specify the location of your image folder and you’re done. Now the images are automatically changed at a particular interval that you have defined in General tab section.
Apart from this, Variety will download the images automatically from online resources such as Flickr, Wallbase.cc, World sunlight map and more and organize them into your local folders. You can define the time interval to download the images from online, size of the picture to be downloaded from online and downloads directory where you want to put the downloaded images.
Once you installed and start the Variety application, it will place a app indicator on your Taskbar. Using this Taskbar app indicator, you can change the wallpaper immediately and you can quit the application as well.
This tool seems to be very cool and gives the similar usage of Webshots application in your Ubuntu/Linux Mint desktops. This tool will help you to make your Desktop much beautiful with variety of wallpapers.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .