Alfresco- An opensource alternative to Microsoft sharepoint
Alfresco is Enterprise Content Management (ECM) software based on open source platform build for Windows, Linux and number of UNIX based operating systems. Alfresco is one of most powerful and flexible ECM software available in the market for free or at much lower cost compared to Microsoft SharePoint.
“Microsoft SharePoint is web content and document management software that can support multiple organizations on a single server. With SharePoint the enterprises can manage websites, intranets, extranets, documents and files, collaboration spaces, social networking and business intelligence tools etc. “
Important Functions and Features of Alfresco
Alfresco is based on Java platform and is powered by a number of open source technologies like Spring framework, Hibernate and many others that enable the software to seamlessly integrate with the existing IT infrastructure of the organization. It has very easy to use graphical user interface (GUI) and highly customizable content management backend to suit various organizations and their operational requirements. It is used by large known companies like : Toyota, KLM, Hotels.com, La poste, CISCO, EA Games, Activision and more.
Here are some important functions and features of Alfresco
1) Managing documents: This feature of Alfresco enables the businesses to create, capture, share and retain the content. From a single repository the company can manage documents, images, audio and video files. The files can also be previewed in the browser without the need to download them.
2) Managing the records: The records management feature of Alfresco helps file the records by using drag and drop feature from the desktop, email client, or any browser. It is developed on Alfresco’s document management repository. The users can choose appropriate interface for adding the records.
3) Web content management: This feature enables the web content developers to create the content, collaborate on the content, approve the content and finally publish it. It provides environment for the web teams to work together and collaborate. The highlight of this feature is the Alfresco Web Editor that allows creating and modifying the web content within the web application without the need for the creator to understand how the content is stored.
4) Enterprise collaboration: Alfresco provides the platform for a number of teams spread across various parts of the country or the world to collaborate together on content or projects in a real-time manner. It has some powerful team tools like document library, Wiki, calendar and others. There are personal dashboards that allow the users to setup and view information anyway they want. The latest version of Alfresco provides excellent features for social content management.
5) Based on open source platform: Alfresco is based on open source platform that allows developing content rich applications and websites using RESTful APIs and open standards such as CMIS or JSR 168.
First you need to download alfresco .Bin package from the download Page, then cd the directory where you downloaded the package
Then make the file excutable(I`m installing in a 64bit system) :
sudo chmod +x alfresco-community-3.4.d-installer-linux-x64.bin
Now run the installation :
Then follow the instructions as described on the screenshots bellow:
Enter a password for your MySql database:
Choose your admin password:
After installation is complete, open your browser and enter the local adress http://localhost:8080/alfresco
N.B : Installation instructions done by M. Zinoune
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .