A relook at Sunflower file manager
Sunflower File Manager, the dream file manager that integrates into GNOME framework has now reached Alpha phase. Every since thedream twin-panel file manager began two years ago, the development team has made rapid progress with bugs and request made for each release being worked upon steadily and now officially features have been frozen (March 8). Additionally, the team head has announced that first stable version will be 0.2 following the long development cycle of 2years for version 0.1.
Sunflower 01a.40 is the latest version of this new file manager. In development stage yet, users have found bugs that need some working on. There are weekly releases now and need support on reporting bugs or feature requests by devs. It needs search, text reader, directory synchronization, editor and others like translations. The Russian translation needs to be worked upon and requires updates as well as some flow fixes.
Some of these bugs have been plugged- Application selection dialog failed to open is now fixed. Merge dialog showed reference problem and has been fixed; Accelerators for Shift + Tab are now fixed; an additional (duplicate) tab is provided if you middle click on the tab title bar. Racing condition occurring when a thread was being used to load directory condition is now fixed; another bug when terminal font setting from gconf was fixed. Now, the order in which data can be saved on tabs received a change.
Tarballs are available for Download
Installation in Ubuntu and LinuxMint via PPA
Open terminal and enter the following commands
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/sunflower sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install sunflower
While, there are other file managers for GNOME desktop such as Nautilus, there is subtle inadequacy that new file managers such as Sunflower fm will allow. Sunflower fm could well be the start of a new series where file managers work seamless with native GNOME desktop and yet be easy to use and offer a powerful and satisfying performance.
Why it will prove to be popular is its new desktop layout that allows two column-views with a tab-feature. Features such as Gvfs if on remote file systems can also be brought into normal directories. As the new series develops with additional packages under development at a furious phase, Sunflower fm is being tried by users who want greater flexibility, performance scalability and ease of use that will not prove to be out of synch with the GNOME environment.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu : Hi unixmen readers! How are you? In this article we will teach you how to install the desktop vers...3 comments |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP : This is the continuation of our previous tutorial. In our previous tutorial we learned how to instal...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .