Alien Arena 2011 version 7.51 has been released, This latest version of the standalone, open source FPS game features a number of optimizations that have resulted in a dramatic performance increase across the board. There were also a number of graphical updates, including a rewrite of the post process effects for pain and heatwave distortions.
Some of the new features in this release:
- Extensive rewrite of bsp surface rendering for a massive performance increase.
- Complete rewrite of vertex buffer object code.
- Complete rewrite of post process effects.
- Improvements to shadow mapping for dynamic shadows.
- Variety of graphical updates and bugfixes.
- Three new/revamped levels.
- Added downloading of iqm meshes.
For a complete changelog look HERE
About Alien Arena
Alien Arena is a free, stand-alone first-person shooter computer game based on source code released by id Software. Begun by COR Entertainment in 2004, the game combines a 1950s-era sci-fi atmosphere with gameplay similar to the Quake, Doom, and Unreal Tournament series. Alien Arena focuses mainly on online multiplayer action, although it does contain single-player matches against bots
For installation in Ubuntu and LinuxMint, simply download and install Playdeb repositoy. Then open terminal and type the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install alien-arena
This will install the latest version of the game Alien Arena 2011 version 7.51