Announced by Wildfire Games the release of the ninth alpha version of 0 A.D. Codenamed “Ides of March”, this new Alpha release comes with many new features, improvements and bug fix.
Top new features in this release:
- The Roman Republic faction, playable on custom scenarios and random map scripts–in single player and multiplayer, complete with a new art set, including new buildings, units, and ships.
- A new combat system that adds bonuses and weaknesses to each unit, like rock-paper-scissors (e.g. spearmen defeat melee cavalry, but are countered by skirmishers and cavalry archers).
- A brand new trading system, over land with traders trained from markets, and over sea with merchant ships built at the dock. Establish a trade route between two markets or docks, and your traders will gain resources for every trip made. You can choose which resource will be gained by a trader.
- Over a dozen new random map scripts by Spahbod, wraitii, and mmayfield45.
- New animations: Rowing oars for ships, rams, some catapults, traders, some animals.
- AI improvements: 0 A.D.’s default AI, qBot, has had a performance increase and had a serious bug fixed with the attack code.
- Music and Sound: Four new tracks and one re-made track, all composed and directed by Omri Lahav, featuring Marta Mc’cave on the flute and Shir-Ran Yinon on the viola. Two of the tracks celebrate the Roman faction with a very Italian mandolin.
About O.A.D game
“0 A.D. (pronounced “zero ey-dee”) is a free, open-source, cross-platform real-time strategy (RTS) game of ancient warfare. In short, it is a historically-based war/economy game that allows players to relive or rewrite the history of Western civilizations, focusing on the years between 500 B.C. and 500 A.D. The project is highly ambitious, involving state-of-the-art 3D graphics, detailed artwork, sound, and a flexible and powerful custom-built game engine.
The game has been in development by Wildfire Games (WFG), a group of volunteer, hobbyist game developers, since 2001″
Installation of 0 A.D Alpha9 in Ubuntu and LinuxMint:
Open terminal and enter the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0ad sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install 0ad
For installation in other Linux distribution, please follow instructions in our previous post.