Wine 1.5.6 has been released!
Wine is a free and open source application that allows users to run Windows software on other operating systems. Wine is always under heavy development with the team preparing one release every 2 weeks. Yesterday, the founder and current leader of the project Alexandre Julliard, announced the availability of version 1.5.6, that brings some important additions and fixes.
What’s new in this release:
- Automatic installation of the Mono add-on package.
- Control panel applet for joysticks.
- Device bitmap rendering now done through the DIB engine.
- Support for video rendering through DirectX (VMR-9).
- First steps towards a D3D shader compiler.
- Build fixes for DragonFly BSD.
- Various bug fixes.
The D3D Shader compiler is wonderful news, but I think we’ll have to wait some time before we see any real functionality. VMR-9 is a filter bundled inside Directx9 that allows the transformation of video images using the Direct3D pixel shaders. It is only natural for Wine to be a behind Windows that uses a newer filter for some years now.
Some of the specific applications bugs fixed include:
- Adobe Flash Player 9 and 10: movies and images are messed up
- The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria doesn’t start
- Sound does not work in Big Fish Games when acceleration is set to full
- Medieval Total War Gold DVD Italian – Unload the debugger error
- Rise of Nations Gold Edition Nuclear Blast Effect Looks Awful
- Machinarium window does not show any contents and hangs desktop
- Office Professional Plus 2010 install fails without machine.config file
- EVE Online crashes on attempt to move window
- Sanitarium crashes/hangs frequently with OpenGL renderer
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu : Hi unixmen readers! How are you? In this article we will teach you how to install the desktop vers...1 comment |
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP : This is the continuation of our previous tutorial. In our previous tutorial we learned how to instal...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu : GLPI is the Information Resource-Manager with an additional Administration Interface. You can use it...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .