Wine 1.5.5 released!
Wine is a free and open source application that allows users to run Windows software on other operating systems. Wine is always under heavy development with the team preparing one release every 2 weeks. Yesterday, the founder and current leader of the project Alexandre Julliard, announced the availability of version 1.5.5 that brings some important additions and fixes.
What’s new in this release:
- -Support for installing Mono as a Wine add-on package.
- -Dithering of pattern brushes in the DIB engine.
- -Support for installing the .NET 4.0 runtime.
- -DDS files supported in D3DX9.
- -Various bug fixes.
Most important specific applications problems addressed:
- -When running Half-Life in software mode, the screen is not updated
- -Wine hangs when attempting to add video file in DVD lab Pro 1.53
- -Powerpoint Viewer 2007 crashes opening Keynote.pptx
- -.NET Reflector 6.x user interface is distorted
- -Adobe Premiere CS2 doesn’t run
- -Outlook 2007 doesn’t run after install
- -Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 fails to start
- -Half-Life 2 Episode 2 & Portal: hl2.exe continues to running after exit of game
- -Halo Editing Kit will not load
- -Adobe Dreamweaver 8: “Next” link in Help doesn’t work
- -Picasa 3.6 unable to scan
- -3dmark06 free version reports “D3DXGetImageInfoFromFileInMemory failed” when you try to run the dem
- -Portal and Uru graphics glitches (fglrx only)
- -Final Fantasy 8: Eidos Intro movie and sound choppy
- -Silent Hill 2 menu invisible
- -Money 2002 fails to run
- -Add support for .NET 4.0 assembly cache (.NET 4.0 Framework installer)
- -Star Wars: Republic Commando hangs when skipping the intro video
- and many, many others…