Virtualbox 4.0.2 is released, this is an update release that comes with some bug fix and improvements.
What`s New in this release:
· GUI: don’t crash if a removable host drive referenced from the VM settings vanished
· GUI: ﬁxed a crash when using the KDE4 Oxygen theme and clicked on the settings button (4.0 regression; bug #7875)
· GUI: properly warn if the machine folder cannot be created (bug #8031)
· GUI: several ﬁxes for multimonitor X11 guests
· ExtPack: don’t make the installer helper application suid root Linux .deb/.rpm packages only)
· ExtPack: improved user experience on Vista / Windows 7 when installing an extension pack
· ExtPack: ﬁxed issue with non-ascii characters in the path name during installing an extension pack (bug #9717)
· ExtPack: ﬁxed SELinux issues on 32-bit Linux hosts
· VBoxManage: Host-only interface creation and removal is now supported for all platforms except Solaris (bug #7741)
· VBoxManage: ﬁxed segmentation fault when removing non-existent host-only interface
· Storage: ﬁxed possible crashes with VMDK/VHD images with snapshots and async I/O (4.0 regression)
Read more in the change log
I- Installation :
Before to start remember to remove any previous version of virtualbox installed in your system.
– For Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat and linuxmint 10 :
To install VirtualBox in Ubuntu 10.10 maverick meerkat and LinuxMint10, you need to add the the following repository.
1-Open terminal and copy the command bellow :
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian maverick contrib"
2- Add the verification key, Copy this command :
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add –
3- Now update and install :
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0
- You can also use this command (Thanks to webupd8) to add the repository and install virtualbox 4.0.2 in debian based systems (Ubuntu, LinuxMint, Debian..)
echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0
- If you don`t want to install virtualbox from repository download the following .deb packages from this Link.
– For Other Linux distribution, download the packages from this Link.
II- Download and install the extension pack:
As i mentioned in my previous post ” VirtualBox4.0 introduces the Extension Pack mechanism which allows Oracle and 3rd parties to deliver additional functionality on top of the standard Open Source product. The Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack, adds support for USB 2.0, RDP server and the PXE bootloader with E1000 support. “
To install the extension pack, First download the pack from this link :
After, open virtualbox and go to File–> Preference, then under extensions install the extension pack: