Use Tor To Maintain Online Anonymity
WikiLeaks and the recent Egyptian political revolution are two great examples of what Anonymity software can do. Tor is a unique virtual tunnels network, which ensures online activities and location remains undetected.
The Tor Project was awarded the Free Software Foundation’s for 2010 for being the most influential Social Benefit Project. This was for the crucial role the software played in delivering 36 million people in Egypt freedom of access and expression, while remain anonymous. Its continued role in helping the people of Iran too is hugely recommended the world over.
Project Tor pretty much rides on all types of software and comes with a built-in browser. This enables it to run on virtually every type of OS, which is a critical feature, which ensures privacy for individuals and organizations on public networks.
Tor provides developers unique capability of developing applications for personal and organizational use for public networking but retaining privacy. Tor allows, “Visits to Web sites, online posts, instant messages and other communication forms.“
Tor is Onion routing technology
Tor is an onion routing project, which originated in the labs of US Naval Research. In fact, after its initial use as secretive-communication-protecting software, it is now a BSD License (open source) project available on a free-to-use network.
Every data stream on Tor is encrypted and relayed in short bursts or incoherent data to the next tor relay, where it is again encrypted. This original data stream is beyond detection and is called the onion routing technology.
This system of tunneled routing ensures the websites that a Tor user visits do not learn of their physical location, Besides, Tor even allows you to access web sites, which are blocked or are behind firewalls.
Tor Browser Bundle
These features are possible because of the unique Tor Browser Bundle, which allows using platforms such as Mac OS X, Windows and Linux without any software installations as it is typically able to run on USB flash drives.
If you are an avid Instant Messaging fan, then the Tor IM Browser Bundles enables it as well as allows you to chat over Tor.
Once the Tor Browser is installed, the Vidalia Window (the control panel) opens up and Firefox too automatically starts with the installation of Tor.
The key fact is that though Tor ensures your privacy by making it impossible to detect the origin of the web traffic by encrypting all inside the Tor network, where it fails is with the encryption of traffic between the Tor network and its final destination.
Secondly, it disables scripts by default and only web sites with minimal designs will work. However, activating the blue S icon will enable scripts and all sites will be accessible. Again, with Linux version Flash features do not work so easily.
Tor is application independent
With the right software, such as Tor and its browser bundle your online activities can remain private and exclusive.
You can download Tor from this Link, for installation instruction of Tor on Linux, please follow the installation guide in Tor documentation. For Ubuntu/LinuxMint and Debian follow instructions in this Link.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04 : Power Commands, power management application created by the Atareao team , this app helps users to...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian : uGet is a very light-weight and powerful open source download manager. On March 4th, 2014 Uget Do...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .