Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Understanding Linux Market Share for March
Feb 2011, posted remarkable growth for Linux-based Ubuntu’s distribution for web servers amongst four of the mainstream servers that include CentOS, Debian as well as Red Hat. What March 2011 has to offer makes for very interesting stats and pointers to the road ahead for Linux.
Linux For super computers and data clusters
Linux leads with 91.85 followed by pathetic percentages of 3.4 for IBM Aix, Microsoft HPCS with one percent, Solaris has a remarkable 0.1%, and others compose the remaining 3.7%.
Linux For Web Servers
Linux has a market share of 63.7%, while windows has 33.7% and BSD too at a good 2.4%, Solaris is 0.1%.
An unprecedented predominance by Ubuntu established in Feb 2011
Of all Linux distributions until of recent statistics, Ubuntu was the most popular for desktop systems. However, the end of Feb 2011 shows it earning greater presence on Web servers too.
In Feb 2011, it was found that Ubuntu had a significant net gain over major distributions. 2.74% presently using Ubuntu were up until now using Debain. Similarly, an increase in ex-Ubuntu users now using Debain at 1.64%. There was an overall, high/significant movement from Linux technologies to Ubuntu at 7.39%. While there was 2.79% migration from Ubuntu to other Linux –based flavors. In this overall inclination towards Ubuntu, 1.91% of CentosOS moved to Ubuntu and 0.77% of returned to it. Red hat saw 0.94% moving away to Ubuntu while gaining 0.14% back.
Established and popular sites run on Ubuntu and have a usage rate of 4.5% for the first 1000 sites. Again, some significant figures point out that websites that run either MediaWiki, at 16% usage and Drupal with 18.5% of usage. Ruby garners about 34.8% sites.
Looking deeper into Ubuntu’s popularity, the significant software is Apache but is very popular with Nginx, Lighttdp as well as Cherokee.
Geographically Ubuntu is used by 40% of Europeans with Sweden at 11%, Hungry at 12.5%, Germany at 9.5%, France by 8%. In Asia, India has 2.1% users, followed by China at 0.8%, Japan at 0.7%. US showing 3.3% is not highly significant as the reliable sources are unavailable for the .us domain.
Linux stats For Desktop Users
A detailed look at the operating systems shows predominance of Microsoft Windows at 89.72% and a substantial 5.21% by Apple Mac. The rest of the five percent is distributed over iOS-1.92%, Linux at 0.94%, Java ME at 0.91% and Android at 0.50%.
Linux Desktop Users are composed of following numbers-
While 63% use Debian, 18% are found to use an assortment of other Linux Desktop, closely followed by 15%using Fedora / Red Hat and a significant 4% using Gentoo.
Detailed look at the Global stats for Linux in the past month are under review and interpretations and new directions for Linux will soon be available. Trends to be watched and leverage are several for Linux-based business. Web Server stats for Ubuntu for month of Feb 20011, has led to drastic changes in how SEO services are being now adapted for Ubuntu. On the threshold of new decade of growth, after completing 20 years of growth, Linux is sure to offer liberating and powerful software for all sectoral growth.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .