The Final Curtain Raiser for Ubuntu11.04 Natty Narwhal
Ubuntu 11.04 is a self-liberating Final Release for Canonical the Ubuntu developers. It nomenclatures as Natty Narwhal, an Arctic Whale and is a great gambit for Canonical, as they venture deep into new waters with their seminal Unity desktop while deep-freezing their traditional GNOME Desktop shell.
Developed around the Linux 2.6.38 Kernel, this version is definitely a step-forward as Ubuntu 11.04 is a single version for both desktop and netbooks. With Unity, offering what Ubuntu envisioned with GL graphics and 3D, all eyes are on Ubuntu 11.04 and the interface will have to deliver, as Ubuntu’s fortune will depend on it.
Ubuntu 11.04 on Unity is fundamentally redefined with new styling features in the launcher, the dash, the workspace becoming pleasing, elegant, cutting-edge designer wear for desktops. The Launcher is sleek, user-friendly with the application icons along the sides of the screen. The Dash allows extensive use of keyboard shortcuts for navigation and launcher activation. Searching files and programs with the Ubuntu button is definitely intuitive and shows up the search results instantly. Standard desktop-ware includes an App-store cloned Software Centre for Applications downloads, Firefox 4.0, Lc3.3.2 with Banshee 1.9.5 for music.
Some of the backend features
Commendable power features include the PowerNap 2.0 that allegedly lets the Linux server run with 14 percent lesser power. Hardware supports include redefined kernel and drivers for newer hardware and is certified for Intel’s new generation-WestmereEX, Xeon E7 which is the most powerful in the range as well as the low-end E3 processors like the Sandy Bridge-DT. While AMD’s Fusion CPU-GPU and Bulldozer core virtualized features is supported, Ubuntu Server 11.04 does not support the cutting-edge Valencia and Interlagos Opteron. The Python’s Cobbler commands great respect for building new systems/renovating currently running OS.
Will Natty Narwhal gambit pay off for Ubuntu ?
Natty Narwhal delivers on most features of open source software including high security, high compatibility, super-fast loading and great accessibility. Secondly, the compatibility features with a host of devices from mp3 to cameras, printers is not only well supported but fast as well. It truly liberates you from the CD installations and the frustrations of ‘setting-things-up’ routine of regular open source software.
The high interoperability-direct open, editing and sharing of MS docs/MS Word, bridges the gap between the high power performance of Open Source and the high performance of proprietary software such as MS Word for faster, stress-free work environments for non-developers who love the concept and the philosophy of open source.
Natty Narwhal future
Canonical is already gearing itself up for the Ubuntu 11.10, the Oneiric Ocelot and is addressing Long Term Support issues for its Cloud Platforms. Decisions on the right platform for 12.04 LTS are in the offing.
Presently Natty Narwhal offers two Cloud Architecture Platforms(thanks to RackSpace), OpenStack and Eucalyptus but with the Budapest Ubuntu Developer Summit in May, the lead on which of these two will remain officially a part of Ubuntu team and which will remain community driven will surely be determined.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .