Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Some Linux/Unix Security Guidelines
Unix security is a big world including Software and hardware, there is no guaranties to make your Unix system safe, but you can make it very difficult for the Crackers en Hackers; in this quick guide will show you some simple steps to protect your system.
1- Take Care With Passwords:
Use good ones (motherhood statement)
Don’t Use Real Words
Make Sure They Are Not Easily Guessed
Use Combinations Of Upper and Lower Case, Numbers, Punctuation One Method: Take first letter of a sentence or book title, insert numbers and punctuation.
2- Use Shadow Passwords:
Allows encrypted passwords to be in a file that is not world readable
3- Use Password Aging:
Requires shadow passwords
4- Restrict Superuser Access:
Restrict where root can log in from
/etc/security restricts root access to devices listed Use wheel group to restrict who can su to root Put users who can su to root in wheel group in /etc/group file.
5- Use groups to allow access to files that must be shared:
Otherwise users will set world permission
6- Be careful with SUID and SGID
Avoid setting executables to SUID root
Wrap SUID root wrapper around programs if they must be run SUID root Create special accounts for programs that must run with higher permissions
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .