Setup Your Own Online Survey Using Limesurvey and LAMP Server
LimeSurvey, formerly known as PHPSurveyor, is an open-source survey application written in PHP that can be used to create powerful online question and answer type surveys in minutes without much effort and any programming knowledge. We can create any type of online survey for thousands of participants using LimeSurvey.
In this article, let me show you how to setup LimeSurvey on CentOS/RHEL based distributions. My test box hostname and IP address are server.unixmen.com and 192.168.1.200/24. Change those values as per your scenario.
If you want to setup a self-hosted online survey on a fresh system, you should install and configure LAMP server first. To install and configure LAMP server on CentOS/RHEL, follow this link.
Once you have installed and configured LAMP server, make sure that you have installed the following PHP extensions which are needed by LimeSurvey:
[root@server ~]# yum install php-mcrypt php-mbstring php-common php-pdo php-cli php-mysql php-gd php-xml php-ldap php-imap php-zip php-zlib libtool-ltdl mhash mcrypt -y
Once you installed the extensions, restart your Apache service:
[root@server ~]# service httpd restart
Create MySQL database and user for LimeSurvey.
Here, I create a database called limesurveydb and a user called limesurveyuser with password centos:
[root@server ~]# mysql -u root -p Enter password: Welcome to the MariaDB monitor. Commands end with ; or \g. Your MariaDB connection id is 1 Server version: 5.5.31-MariaDB MariaDB Server Copyright (c) 2000, 2013, Oracle, Monty Program Ab and others. Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement. MariaDB [(none)]> create database limesurveydb; Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec) MariaDB [(none)]> GRANT ALL ON limesurveydb.* TO limesurveyuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'centos'; Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec) MariaDB [(none)]> flush privileges; Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec) MariaDB [(none)]> exit Bye
Get the latest version of LimeSurvey here. Or you can download it using the following command from your terminal:
[root@server ~]# wget http://www.limesurvey.org/en/stable-release/finish/25-latest-stable-release/901-limesurvey200plus-build130708zip
Extract the zip file using the command:
[root@server ~]# unzip limesurvey200plus-build130611.zip
This will extract the zip file as folder called limesurvey. Just copy the contents of this folder to the website (Apache) root directory:
[root@server ~]# cp -fr limesurvey/ /var/www/html/
Set the required permissions to following folders as shown below:
[root@server ~]# chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/limesurvey/application/config/ [root@server ~]# chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/limesurvey/upload/ [root@server ~]# chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/limesurvey/tmp/
Now navigate to http://domain_name/limesurvey or http://ip-address/limesurvey from your web browser. You should see the following screen.
Select your preferred language and click on Start Installation.
For more information about installing, administrating and creating surveys, check the official manual page.
You have installed LimeSurvey successfully, now what?
Create a survey and put the survey link anywhere on your website or send the survey link to colleagues and friends to attend your survey.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .