Setup Your Own Online Survey Using Limesurvey and LAMP Server
LimeSurvey, formerly known as PHPSurveyor, is an open-source survey application written in PHP that can be used to create powerful online question and answer type surveys in minutes without much effort and any programming knowledge. We can create any type of online survey for thousands of participants using LimeSurvey.
In this article, let me show you how to setup LimeSurvey on CentOS/RHEL based distributions. My test box hostname and IP address are server.unixmen.com and 192.168.1.200/24. Change those values as per your scenario.
If you want to setup a self-hosted online survey on a fresh system, you should install and configure LAMP server first. To install and configure LAMP server on CentOS/RHEL, follow this link.
Once you have installed and configured LAMP server, make sure that you have installed the following PHP extensions which are needed by LimeSurvey:
[root@server ~]# yum install php-mcrypt php-mbstring php-common php-pdo php-cli php-mysql php-gd php-xml php-ldap php-imap php-zip php-zlib libtool-ltdl mhash mcrypt -y
Once you installed the extensions, restart your Apache service:
[root@server ~]# service httpd restart
Create MySQL database and user for LimeSurvey.
Here, I create a database called limesurveydb and a user called limesurveyuser with password centos:
[root@server ~]# mysql -u root -p Enter password: Welcome to the MariaDB monitor. Commands end with ; or \g. Your MariaDB connection id is 1 Server version: 5.5.31-MariaDB MariaDB Server Copyright (c) 2000, 2013, Oracle, Monty Program Ab and others. Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement. MariaDB [(none)]> create database limesurveydb; Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec) MariaDB [(none)]> GRANT ALL ON limesurveydb.* TO limesurveyuser@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'centos'; Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec) MariaDB [(none)]> flush privileges; Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec) MariaDB [(none)]> exit Bye
Get the latest version of LimeSurvey here. Or you can download it using the following command from your terminal:
[root@server ~]# wget http://www.limesurvey.org/en/stable-release/finish/25-latest-stable-release/901-limesurvey200plus-build130708zip
Extract the zip file using the command:
[root@server ~]# unzip limesurvey200plus-build130611.zip
This will extract the zip file as folder called limesurvey. Just copy the contents of this folder to the website (Apache) root directory:
[root@server ~]# cp -fr limesurvey/ /var/www/html/
Set the required permissions to following folders as shown below:
[root@server ~]# chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/limesurvey/application/config/ [root@server ~]# chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/limesurvey/upload/ [root@server ~]# chmod -R 777 /var/www/html/limesurvey/tmp/
Now navigate to http://domain_name/limesurvey or http://ip-address/limesurvey from your web browser. You should see the following screen.
Select your preferred language and click on Start Installation.
For more information about installing, administrating and creating surveys, check the official manual page.
You have installed LimeSurvey successfully, now what?
Create a survey and put the survey link anywhere on your website or send the survey link to colleagues and friends to attend your survey.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .