Samba Standalone Server on openSUSE 13.1 With tdbsam Backend
This tutorial will describe how to install and configure samba standalone server with tdbsam backend on openSUSE 13.1.
Install Samba with following command:
linux-tm5y:~ # zypper install cups-libs samba Loading repository data... Reading installed packages... 'cups-libs' is already installed. No update candidate for 'cups-libs-1.5.4-12.1.3.i586'. The highest available version is already installed. Resolving package dependencies... The following packages are going to be upgraded: libdcerpc-binding0 libdcerpc0 libgensec0 libndr-krb5pac0 libndr-nbt0 libndr-standard0 libndr0 libnetapi0 libpdb0 libregistry0 libsamba-credentials0 libsamba-hostconfig0 libsamba-util0 libsamdb0 libsmbclient-raw0 libsmbclient0 libsmbconf0 libsmbldap0 libtevent-util0 libwbclient0 samba samba-client samba-libs 23 packages to upgrade. Overall download size: 8.5 MiB. After the operation, additional 7.9 KiB will be used. Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y):
Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf file and make sure you have this in global section.
[global] workgroup = WORKGROUP passdb backend = tdbsam security = user printing = cups printcap name = cups printcap cache time = 750 cups options = raw map to guest = Bad User include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile logon drive = P: usershare allow guests = Yes
Enable and start Samba Service.
linux-tm5y:/etc/samba # /etc/init.d/smb start redirecting to systemctl start smb
linux-tm5y:/etc/samba # chkconfig smb on
Add common samba shares for all users.
mkdir -p /home/allusers chown -R root:users /home/allusers/ chmod -R ug+rwx,o+rx-w /home/allusers/
Edit users category in samb.conf as shown below.
[allusers] comment = All Users path = /home/allusers valid users = @users force group = users create mask = 0660 directory mask = 0771 writable = yes
Edit home category in smb.conf as shown below.
[homes] comment = Home Directories browseable = no valid users = %S writable = yes create mask = 0700 directory mask = 0700
Restart samba to activate the changes.
linux-tm5y:/etc/samba # /etc/init.d/smb restart redirecting to systemctl restart smb
Add Unix user pirat9 and add it to group Users.
useradd -m pirat9 -G users
Set user password.
passwd pirat9 New password: Retype new password: passwd: password updated successfully
Make Samba user password.
smbpasswd -a pirat9 New SMB password: Retype new SMB password: Added user pirat9.
Check if the port samba 445 is listening.
netstat -an | grep 445 tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 10.1.1.89:445 10.1.1.105:52293 ESTABLISHED tcp 0 0 :::445 :::* LISTEN linux-tm5y:/etc/samba #
Done! Lets connect to Samba Server from Windows \\IP\allusers of \\IP\homes.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .