Proprietary Browser vs. Open Source Browser [Market Share Analysis]
With time open source software have emerged as potential contenders to proprietary software. Unlike the traditional understanding, open source software have proven to be as capable (or even more capable) than counterpart proprietary software and have been successful in claiming substantial market share. While we occasionally analyze the browser market share, this time we decide to compare the open source and proprietary browser market share and investigate how trends are shaping up in browser market.
The browsers we have selected to analyze are:
Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and Apple’s Safari being the prominent browsers in proprietary group while Google’s Chrome and Mozilla’s Firefox in open source camp. Other Browsers (notably Opera) have been excluded from the analysis as claiming only a very small market share that is persistently constant.
A look at the current market share for each browser (as for September 2012)
We shall analyse the browser trends prevalent from January 2011 to September 2012. Now lets first have a look at the the browser market share for proprietary market share.
Having seen the market share for proprietary browsers, lets see individual and accumulative market share for each browser in Open source camp.
Combining the above tables into a clearer table:
The investigations yields the following graph:
Comparing the two browser growth relatively:
The graphs clearly show the trends favoring open source browsers currently. This trend is expected to continue as more and more developers continue to contribute their creativity to open source browser projects making open source browser richer in features ,faster and efficient.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 : By default usernames are not displayed on panel in Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, In this simple tutorial w...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together : Hi linux geeks! In this article I will teach you a nice trick you can perform in the terminal with ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .