Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr.
The most features of this release :
– Implement simple silence suppression for voice calls, preventing wasted bandwidth for silent periods during a call.
– libpurple: Allow obtaining active local and remote candidates.
– libpurple: Allow getting/setting video capabilities.
– libpurple: Support new connection states in NetworkManager 0.9.
– Gadu-Gadu:Allow showing your status only to buddies.
– MXit: Support for an Invite Message when adding a buddy.
– MXit: New profile attributes added and shown.
– MXit: Added the ability to view and invite your Suggested Friends, and to search for contacts.
– XMPP: Remember the previously entered user directory when searching.
– Many other additions, changes and corrections.
To check more more about this change, Please check changelog Link
Installation in Ubuntu and LinuxMint:
Open terminal and enter Unixmen PPA bellow:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unixmen-com/pidgin sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pidgin
download this .deb file and install it – this will add the GetDeb repository -, then run an upgrade:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade