PeerGuardian: A Privacy Oriented Firewall
PeerGuardian is a privacy oriented firewall application. It blocks connections to and from hosts specified in huge blocklists (thousands or millions of IP ranges). Its origin seeds in targeting aggressive IPs while you use P2P.
PeerGuardian is the official successor and based on the MoBlock fork NFBlock, blockcontrol and mobloquer. The usage is nearly identical, just type “pglcmd” instead of “blockcontrol”.
Install PeerGuardian On Ubuntu/Linux Mint
Add the PeerGuradian PPA with command:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jre-phoenix/ppa
Update the sources list:
$ sudo apt-get update
Now install peerguardian with command:
$ sudo apt-get install pgld pglcmd pglgui
While installing pgl, you will be asked to start pgl service automatically. Click on yes to start it automatically on every reboot.
Open PeerGuradian either from your Dash or Menu.
Suppose if you trust some connections, just click on the respective connection and allow it either temporarily or permanently.
Warning: pgl may block your complete network/internet access after you installing PeerGuardian.
Using too many and/or inappropriate lists may seriously degrade your internet service. The configuration files are found in /etc/pgl/ directory.
To connect to internet again, go to Configure tab on the PeerGuardian interface.
In the white list section enter the Protocols(https, http, ftp etc), Port mumbers(80, 21 etc) or IP addresses(192.168.1.200/24) as shown below. Click on the (+) sign and add the protocol or port or ip address as shown below. For more details please refer this link.
Here i allow http and https protocols.
$ sudo pglcmd restart
For more information about configuration and troubleshooting, visit the FAQ section of PeerGuradian.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04 : Power Commands, power management application created by the Atareao team , this app helps users to...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian : uGet is a very light-weight and powerful open source download manager. On March 4th, 2014 Uget Do...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .